Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I sighed when I saw my reflection in the bathroom mirror. I looked terrible. It wasn't surprising seeing as I had less than three hours sleep last night. Thoughts of Luke kept me awake the whole night. He couldn't really be in love with me, could he?

I tried to push Luke to the back of my mind and focus on getting ready. We were expected at breakfast in an hour. I stripped out of my pyjamas and stepped into the cool spray of the shower.

Once I was showered I changed quickly and applied my make-up before walking out of the bathroom where Emily was waiting angrily for the shower.

"Could you have taken any longer?" She grumbled as she marched into the bathroom, her eyebrows pulled together into a frown.

Once Emily was finished getting ready we filed down the corridor and towards the hotel restaurant where we would be eating breakfast.

I stretched my lips into a smile when I saw Luke, who had saved Emily and I places at a table with the rest of his friends.

Would it be awkward because of last night? We hadn't talked about what Emily had said seeing as Mr Jones, one of our teachers, had come to our room while Emily was still trying to persuade me Luke liked me, and demanded that we went to bed straight away.

"Hey," I mumbled as Emily and I took the places opposite and next to Luke.

"Morning," he smiled but it didn't reach his eyes. "I think we should talk," Luke frowned standing up and taking my hand so I had no choice but to follow him.

"Look about last night..." I started but Luke interrupted,

"Can I go first?" He grimaced. I nodded indicating for him to continue.

"I'm don't like you like that okay. I don't know where Emily got that from. I love you, but as a best friend that's all." He said speaking so fast I nearly didn't catch what he said.

I felt relief flooding over me as the words came from his mouth. It felt like a massive weight had just been lifted off my shoulders. Things would have been so complicated if he had had feelings for me. I don't even know how I feel about him. If he did have feelings for me would I had gone out with him? I sighed as my thoughts became confused, so I just tried to push them to the back of my mind and concentrate on the situation at hand.

I felt a genuine smile break out on my face as I said, "Oh thank god. I was so scared that things would get all complicated. You mean so much to me and I couldn't live without you as my best friend."

But I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if things had been different. And that's when it hit me. It came smashing down like a ton of bricks. I knew that if Luke had had feelings for me, I would have risked our friendship and gone for it. I was brought back from my thoughts when Luke said,

 "For a second I thought you were gonna say you were in love with me," Luke chuckled as he slung his arm round my shoulder and led to back to our table.

"Get over yourself Luke, not every girl falls at your feet." I giggled, thankful for the distraction.

"But we both know that's not true," Luke whispered in my ear, leaning in a bit too close for comfort.

"Hey you two, leave the flirting to the bedroom!" George, one of Luke's friends, shouted from the other side of the table.

I felt a blush covering my cheeks, so I buried my face in Luke's chest.

"You're just jealous because Soph would never flirt with you," Luke shouted back, his signature smirk falling on to his lips. "Oh and it's too easy to make you blush," he continued but making sure I was the only one who could hear.