Story 10

"Boop!" I say ending Toby's vlog with him. I turned off the video, yawning. I made my way to the door and slipped my slippers on before I opened it. I went down the stairs in the dark, my hand running against the wall. The hard yet smooth paint on the wall stayed under my sliding hand.

Big mistake.

My hands felt something warm, wet and sticky. I pulled my hand away is shock and disgust. My expression changes from confusing to fright once I realize it's blood. I step off the last step and switch on the light quickly. It doesn't shine much on the stair case, but it shines enough so I can see a large streak of blood down the whole wall. 

"Cat..." 

I jump at my name being spoken. I look around behind me. I look back to the stair case and I'm now terrified. The blood was gone. I quickly threw my gaze to my hand only to see there was no blood there either.

I took a deep breath. Everything was fine; I was over reacting again.

I went to the cabinet next to the sink and grabbed a cup down. I filled it about half way up with cold water. I bring the cup to my lips and enjoy as my thirst vanishes. I sigh loudly, but I'm interrupted by a ding. I freeze. There it went again, ding. This time, I wasn't over reacting. The dinging was happening. 

What WAS that sound? I had to figure it out. 

I set my cup on the counter and go to the stairs. 

Ding. 

It sounded like it was coming from the bathroom. I went up the stairs, slowly, running my hand against the wall. 

I exhaled the breath I didn't realize I was holding in when the bathroom light was on. The door was closed, but I saw a shadow of someone's feet. I took in and let out quick breaths and wiped my eyes.

 This wasn't happening--ding. 

Light.

The door to the bathroom had been opened and light was shining on my face. 

I take my hands away from my eyes quickly. As they adjusted to the new lighting, a voice said, "you know what they say, Curiosity killed the Cat." 

I don't like the way he said my name.

Or the way the blade entered my gut.