Chapter 10

Merida didn't know what to say and neither did Hazor. For a moment, he stood before her smiling, as he studied her with new eyes. Then, he hugged her, and she hesitantly hugged him back. "A sister," Hazor whispered in amazement. "All this time I had a sister, and I didn't even know it."

"And three brothers," Merida informed him with a smile.

Hazor held her at arm's length. "There's more of us?!"

Merida laughed and pushed off his arms. "Aye. Well, come on!" Merida tugged on his arm, pulling him to the door. "We've got to tell Chief Stoick! He's probably still convincin' the villagers to let you stay."

Hazor and Merida ran down the stairs, out the door, and all the way to the Great Hall. When Hazor burst through the door, all the Vikings turned to them. "I'm not going to join you!" Hazor cried too cheerfully.

Chief Stoick blinked in surprise. Hazor chuckled and shook his head. "Sorry. I meant that I just found out – ."

"He's my brother," Merida finished. Murmuring came from the open front doors. Merida turned to see a crowd starting to form, attracted by the shouting from the Great Hall. In the very front stood Hiccup, unsure how to receive the news. As Hazor stepped toward the Berkian council to explain, Merida stepped toward Hiccup. "Can you believe it, Hiccup?" she asked him. "I found a new brother." She hugged him tightly.

"That's fantastic, Merida," Hiccup said with genuine happiness.

Merida saw Astrid standing nearby and looking a little peeved at the fond embrace. Not caring what Astrid thought, Merida gave Hiccup a quick squeeze before pulling apart. "So, you understand why we have to go now."

"Oh, of course."

Once more, Kynan flew away from Berk, this time with Merida at the base of his neck and with Hazor sitting behind her between the dragon's winged shoulders. When they landed in the castle courtyard, Kynan's presence startled the servants and horses. Some of the guards on the castle wall pulled out their weapons, but Merida stopped them by presenting herself and alleviating their fears. She promised Hazor she'd return shortly and ran off, leaving him to take in his new – or old – home.

A very miffed Queen Elinor met Merida in the front hall. Although she immediately started scolding her daughter for running off, Merida ignored her and pulled her mother to the door, saying that she had the most wonderful visitor. All the while, Elinor disregarded what Merida was saying and continued to reprimand her.

But when she entered the courtyard and saw the dragon, Elinor stumbled backwards out of Merida's grip. "Mum, look who I've brought home!" Merida cried and gestured to the dismounted Hazor. When Elinor's wits came back to her, she noticed the person who looked like a younger version of her husband.

"Fergus?" Elinor asked in a small voice.

"Is that my name?" Hazor approached her with a smile.

Merida came back to her mother's side and latched on to her arm. "His name is Hazor, Mum. He's my older brother! Your son!" Elinor swayed and held on to Merida for support. "He's come back to you."

"No," Elinor murmured, "he's dead." By now, Hazor was standing right in front of her and Merida. "We saw the mess in the room, the blood. A dragon ate you."

Hazor shook his head. "No, Mum – uh, Mother. I wasn't eaten. I was carried away to another island."

Tears pricked the queen's eyes. "All this time," she breathed, "you were so close . . ." Before she had finished speaking, Elinor and Hazor hugged each other. Elinor let her tears flow freely on Hazor's shoulder, and Merida was sure she saw her new brother blinking away his own tears.