Chapter 6

The Berserker chief decided that he had never seen a more disappointing fight in his life. "Both are obviously defective fighters. Kamikaze, take care of them." He crossed his arms and suddenly looked very bored.

Hastily, Merida scrambled to her feet to defend the Polar Serpent. She thought she saw Kamikaze smile, but it may have only been the Berserker trying to get something out of her teeth before fulfilling her duty. Either way, the humongous woman drew a curved sword that was strapped to her back and jogged with heavy footfalls to the main entrance Merida had spotted. First the Viking tossed up the lattice door covering the initial opening. Then she ran down the sloped floor to the next lattice door and with one hand quickly raised the heavy iron door. Like a great bear, Kamikaze charged at her victims.

"Kamikaze!" The warrior's run faltered, and she and Merida looked to see who had shouted. It was Hazor standing at the entrance!

To protect himself and Merida, the Polar Serpent swung his pointed head around and hit the distracted Kamikaze. Her massive bulk flew a few feet off the ground and came to land at the base of the wall where it lay still. Groaning pitifully, the dragon wearily lowered its head again.

"Come on!" Hazor gestured for Merida to join him at the open gateway. "Let's go!"

For the first time on this crazy adventure, Merida honestly thought she was going to make it home. Then, she looked down at her sick friend, feeling torn. "Not without him." She wrapped her arms around the base of the Polar Serpent's head and heaved. Hazor ran to help her. "And where is Hiccup?"

"He'll be along shortly." He set aside his sword to wrap his arms around the base of the Polar Serpent's neck. If they could get him on his feet, he might find the strength to escape.

Dagur slapped the cross bar in front of him. "You have disgraced yourself, Hazor! Disgraced yourself!" His mad eyes glared at his cronies. "Kill him!" He jabbed a finger down into the arena. "Kill them all!" Bloodlust sparkled in each Berserker's eye as the men ran to the arena's main entrance. Of course, Dagur would have joined them since he loved a good slaughter as much as the next person, but he had to save his energy for when he dispatched that Night Fury when this was over.

Hazor released his hold on the dragon's neck when he saw the Berserkers flooding in. "Here," he shouted to Merida and tossed her his sword. Almost too late, she set the Polar Serpent's head down and caught the weapon. Hazor pulled out the second sword strapped to his back. "I've got this! Get the Night Fury!" He ran straight for the first Berserker, disarmed him, and knocked him to the ground.

"Where is he?" Merida shouted.

"Fourth door!" His weapon flashed in the setting sun as it jabbed to and fro among his enemies.

Dagur surveyed the scene in the arena with satisfaction. All of my enemies will be dispatched, and I never even had to lift a finger. A glint of bloodlust appeared in his eyes, and his bright white teeth were revealed in a malicious grin. However, there is one not-so-special guest who I could take care of myself. With everyone else distracted in the arena, the chief of the Berserkers ran back to the prison to deal with his arch nemesis.

As Merida ran to the fourth set of doors, Kamikaze's eyes followed her. The giant had been only stunned by the dragon's blow and had been waiting for the right moment to attack her foes. Now she slowly pushed herself off the ground and approached the unsuspecting girl. Meanwhile, Merida chopped at the chains attached to the log barring the oak doors. The metal links separated and hung loosely over the crosspiece. Next came the issue of getting the bar off of the door.