Chapter 8

Merida was determined to fight alongside Hiccup. The princess marched toward the Polar Serpent herd intent on mounting her dragon. To her surprise, the white dragons began taking off including hers. "Kynan!" she called, but he didn't even glance her way. The Polar Serpents pressed their legs against their torsos as they flew over her, far out of reach. The younglings were gathered together by a few remaining adults and herded out of sight behind a rise.

Her spirits dampened, Merida watched the white herd fly after the Night Fury. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a dark figure coming toward her. "Here," Hazor said, holding out one of his swords. "You'll need this in case the battle comes to us." She received it without a word, and he pulled out his other sword from over his shoulder. Both weapons flashed in the lightning.

One Skrill versus a Night Fury and a herd of Polar Serpents defending their territory; the lightning dragon remained undaunted despite the odds. Lightning bolts sparked around its head before the Skrill fired many lightning bolts from its mouth. The bolts traveled as fast as they did when they fell from the sky, piercing the air and zooming toward Hiccup. Toothless dodged but only just. The blast continued past him and struck a Polar Serpent. The white beast groaned and fell from sky, writhing all the way into the trees.

Several Polar Serpents separated from the herd and, moving so fast that they looked like white ribbons, streaked over the trees under the Skrill. As they passed it, they rolled on their backs and blasted the Skrill above them with ice. The dark blue dragon screeched and glared at the Polar Serpents, who were already slipping over the mountain ridge and out of the valley.

The Skrill was about to retaliate but was stopped by the whine of a Night Fury preparing a plasma blast. For one brief moment the Skrill's wings came together in front of its face. Lightning bolts danced across the gap between the wings and deflected the plasma blast, which burst and faded away. The Skrill's wings opened again, and the intruder rotated itself in the air to follow Toothless as he began to circle around the Skrill.

Suddenly, three ice blasts hit the Skrill's unprotected backside. The Polar Serpents who shot the ice swiftly dove under the Skrill and out of the dragon's line of sight. The Polar Serpents behind the first row fired as well, but the ice was blocked by another lightning shield. The white dragons dodged around the dark blue dragon. The Skrill quickly looked over its shoulder to see the Night Fury preparing to strike again. With a panicked shriek, the Skrill zoomed up into the clouds. The plasma blast missed the lightning dragon and would have hit some Polar Serpents if the ice dragons hadn't quickly ducked.

All dragons hovered and scanned the storm clouds. Hiccup held a hand over his eyes to block out the rain as his Night Fury lingered above the ridge at the end of the valley. "Toothless, multiple blasts!" He pointed at the clouds. Obediently, the Night Fury fired three times at three different sections of the storm. A squawk sounded from Hiccup's left outside the valley. A Polar Serpent had spotted the Skrill trying to fly back over the ocean.

The Polar Serpents who had separated themselves from the original herd blasted ice into the dark clouds. A screech pierced the air, and lightning streaked through the thunderclouds, illuminating the falling Skrill. As soon as it fell out of the clouds, the Polar Serpents who shot it down rushed toward it. The lightning dragon tried to fly away but was too late. The white dragons crashed into and latched onto it with their teeth and claws. The Skrill screamed as it was sent hurtling from the sky with the Polar Serpents holding onto it. Toothless and the other Polar Serpents left the valley and flew towards the beach where the Skrill was about to land.

Back in the valley, Merida stomped her foot. She was not only cold and wet but helpless, too. There had to be something she could do to help. Startled by cruel laughter, Merida turned her focus to the edge of the wood to see Dagur running toward her with his sword in hand. "No Hiccup to save you," he declared, his eyes gleaming in the dark. "Nowhere to run."