Elsa

Elsa

“Jack! Jack!” I frantically shook the boy's shoulders, trying to get him to wake up. One moment, he had been following me in the hallway, and the next, he was on the ground, eyes closed and motionless. I was scared that he wasn’t going to regain consciousness. I shook his shoulders, trying to bring him back to me. “Jack! Please wake up...” Tears were starting to brim my eyes, and a lump formed in my throat again. He was one of the only friends I had. I didn’t want to lose him. Not this soon. “Please...” I murmured, burying my face in his chest. I felt his steady heart beat against my cheek. It was so peaceful and constant. And warm. it definitely felt warm.

A low hum came from Jack’s throat, and I lifted my head to look at his face. He was wriggling his nose, and scrunching up his face. I sighed in relief, knowing that he was alright. I gingerly placed a hand on his cheek. “Jack? Are you okay?”

“What happened?” he mumbled, barely loud enough for me to hear. He partially opened his eyes and blinked at me a few times. He seemed to focus on my face and a look of confusion stole his expression. “Hey... why are you crying?”

I hadn’t even noticed that the tears had started to roll down my cheeks. “I... You were just... gone. I didn’t know what to do...” I said weakly. He pushed himself up into a sitting position and pulled me to his chest.

“Well, I’m back now, so you can stop crying, okay?” he whispered into my hair. I wrapped my arms around him and held him close, his embrace comforting me and reminded me that he was indeed still here.

After what felt like an eternity, I finally mustered the courage to ask, “Why did you just pass out like that?”

He shrugged, still hugging me. “I don’t know, but I think I know why I’m here now,” he said quietly, trying not to break the complacent silence that had enveloped us. I didn’t want to ruin the moment either, but I eventually pulled away from him, rising from my knees and offering a hand to stand up. We began to walk again, side by side now. I didn’t want him to fall again, so I stayed a bit closer to him than I used to. I felt his hand brush against mine a few times as he told me about some hairy creature and a pile of toys, and a magic transportation device that brought him from his world to mine. I wasn’t really listening though. I was too busy thinking about Jack. I was too distracted by his personality. Sometimes, he was bouncy and spriteful, always laughing and joking and spinning around. But other times, he was understanding and caring, and just so engaged in a conversation that you would think it was still going on in his head after it had ended. He was rather strange, but when he talked about his past, or the place that he had come from, the look in his eyes would change from one of fun to one of longing.

Not to mention that he was really handsome. If I didn’t know better, I’d say that I was attracted to him. But, unlike Anna, I wasn’t going to fall in love that easily.

Why are you thinking about love Elsa? You should be focusing on controlling your power and helping Jack!

“Hey, are you okay?” Jack asked, nudging me with his elbow. We had reached the main entrance hall and both of us had stopped at the top of the staircase.

I looked up at him and felt a pang of emotion in my heart. I didn’t know what it was, but I prayed that it wasn’t love. “Yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking about something.” I avoided his eyes, not wanting him to know what I was thinking about.

“Was it Anna?” he urged gently. I nodded, not telling him the truth.

It’s not like he would ever love you anyways.

My thoughts were interrupted by three huge, echoing thuds that rang throughout the palace. My muscles immediately tensed, and my eyes widened. They couldn’t have found me. It was too soon. I wasn’t ready to return back to Arendale. I wasn’t ready to live my life in a dungeon. I wasn’t ready to leave Jack.