Chapter 2

"Rick! Carl needs blood."Daddy called out. Shane and Rick quickly stood up and Rick pulled up his sleeve reveling his arm. "Dad!"The young boy cried out in agony. "Your killing him!"Rick yelled. Shane held down Carl's shoulders and Daddy pulled out one of the fragments of the bullet. Carl then passed out from blood loss.

Daddy had only removed one fragment,leaving five too deep. He explains that for him to operate without putting Carl under. If Carl moved and screamed like he did the first time when he went deeper. Rick insists that Lori-his wife  has to know, and Shane has to keep him from leaving his son's bedside to search for her on his own. Carl need's more of Rick's blood, and Shane tells him to have the strength of his wife, who kept a bedside vigil for Rick after he was shot months earlier. "I'll take care of the rest," Shane promised Rick.

"Where's your wife?"Maggie asked Rick. I walked over into Ryan's arms and then buried my face into his chest. "That boy is to young to die."I whispered softly. Ryan hesitated and then hugged me back,leaning down to my ear. "Your dad knows what he's doing,Bo. He will be okay."Ryan whispered softly into my ear.

"I wanna show you something."I whispered softly ro him and grabbed onto his hand as I lead him outside. I brought him behind the horse stable and sat down. He set his head on my lap and I slowly ran my fingers though his blonde hair,pressing a soft kiss to my forehead. He reached up and slowly pulled the elastic band from my hair,the dark waves falling over my shoulders.

" I think your hair when it's down."He whispered softly up to me,adjusting the dark waves. I grinned a bit and then looked down at him, " I love you."He told me. His three words made me blush. I nodded a bit and kissed his cheek softly. " I love you too."I told him. He smiled widely and laughed softly as a bee buzzed near my ear,causing me to squeal and try to hide near Ryan. He chuckled and then looked at me. "I'll protect you. From whatever I can baby. Always."He promised me.

Daddy tells Rick that Carl will need major surgery to remove the last fragments, but that there was internal bleeding, and they were unequipped at the farm for such a process. and that they need a respirator and more equipment from the FEMA command post that had been set up at the local high school where Ryan and I met-five miles from the farm. The place was overrun last time we saw it,but Otis adds hopefully, "Maybe it's better now." Shane's prepared to go on his own, and Rick is guilt-ridden for it, but Otis volunteered to go along to right his mistake. Patricia, his girlfriend, tried to object, but he won't hear it.

Once Shane and Otis were loading up the pickup truck,Rick gives Otis his Colt as a secondary weapon before he leaves with Shane for the high school, thanking the man for risking his life to help save his son. Otis' only other gun is the rifle with which he shot Carl, and he packs it alongside him sheepishly as he and Shane pile into his pickup truck.

Ryan had lead me out into the forest to try and find some of our friend who had fallen sick with his sickness. I looked over at him and giggled a bit before grabbing his hand as we walked across a river,both of us on a log. I held the pole in my hand and looked around,my long hair falling into my face. I glanced back at Ryan and then turned back to facing the front. After a little while of looking around,I heard a twig snap. I looked around and then bit my lip. I turned back facing the front and then I heard something fall. I quickly turned around and slammed the pole into a walkers head knocking it over. I hurried into the river and helped up Ryan who gasped in pain,looking down at a large scratch. on his arm. I wrapped my arm around his waist and then we hurried back to the house.

I quickly looked around and then screamed for daddy. He hurried out and then saw a soaking wet Ryan. "Was he bit?!"Hershel asked. I shook my head. " Scratched,I think."He moaned out on pain, Daddy hurried him inside and up into my bedroom. I looked at Daddy who looked at the wound. He left the room.going to get him some pain meds. I set my head on Ryan's chest biting my lip. " You can't leave me. Not even until they find a cure. You can't I need you here."I whispered. The pained look on his face broke my heart. "Baby,I love you. But if they don't find a cure to this,and you never see me again,I want you to move on. You will always be in my heart and I will always love you."He whispered softly and brought my head down,connecting our lips.

I pulled back a but and then he reached up,wiping the tears off my eyes. " I love you."I whispered back to him and then my bottom lip trembled a bit. " I love you,forever and always,Bo.."He whispered and then closed his eyes. I set my head on his chest and then listened to his heartbeat slowing. I closed my eyes and let my glassy eyes release tears. Slowly and slowly his heart stopped beating. I leaned down and kissed his cheek before walking out of the room and called for Daddy. I nodded my head once he appeared and he placed his hand on my shoulder. I sighed and kissed his cheek softly before walking back into the bedroom and Jimmy took him out to the barn.

I sighed and walked over to the dresser where Ryan kept his clothing. I removed my shirt and then slipped on Ryan;s old Collage sweatshirt. I sighed and walked over to the small chair in the corner of the room and nuzzled my face into the sleeve. I looked out the window and saw Jimmy locking the barn door again. I let hot tears fall from my eyes. I needed Ryan. He was my rock and he kept me grounded in this world. He said I could move on and fall in love again,but I will never fall in love with someone as hard as I fell for Ryan.