m e l t e d║xi

[A/N]

so this is it, the end, I'm sorry it's so short..but I thought it needed to end really sweet and simple. this story isn't as great as my others, but I think it's the deepest. I wasn't really focusing on writing to my best, but giving out a certain message.

m e l t e d║xi

                                                                                  ♦ ♦ ♦

I pushed past Oliver and hurried over to the window. I leaned against its chipping wood and pressed my nose against the chilly glass, he was right. The car was parked beside the bus and they were all getting out. In fact, Mr. Wades was heading for the door.

I didn't even bother to put shoes on; I rushed out as fast as I could. Mr. Wades smiled when he saw me and laughed as he hurried me back inside.

"I'm sure it wasn't that terrible without us." He said, and I shrugged. But, thinking about it, it was sort of a miracle they'd been stuck out there. The little amount of time had made me feel a little more like I wasn't alone in my problems. If only I'd had time to tell Oliver how I felt. Even if it meant he didn't feel the same way.

Slowly, one by one, everyone came out of the bathroom. They all smiled and greeted Mr. Wades. He frowned though after a bit.

"I'm sorry we weren't able to ski, you don't have to pass in your poems until Tuesday either. "He told us, "We should pack up; we were supposed to be out of here an hour ago."

"We all finished our poems." Abigail boasted, but this time it was for all of us. I liked this Abigail.

Quinn added happily, "Yeah and they're all really good."

I like that Quinn too. I looked around for a second. I liked everyone else here too. When I'd first found out we were stuck here together, I was not pleased, but now I wish we had longer. I didn't want to go home and have my mother yell at me and say I should have brought food with me.

"That's great! Now, get your stuff together and let's get back to the school. I arranged for your parents to pick you up from there." He told us, going back outside to help the other teachers load the bus with the food they'd bought. I hoped we'd get some on the bus. I was starved.

Everyone scattered to get their stuff and I was starting to walk away when Oliver tapped my shoulder. I turned around.

"I need to talk to you on the bus so, uh, you should sit with me." He smiled and I agreed, scurrying off to pack the rest of my things together. I thought, as I carried my bag to the bus, how weird this was. Nothing had happened at all, but everything had.

 After shoving everything into my suitcase and carefully rolling up my drawing, I was heading out to the bus. Quinn was the only other person left and was folding her last few shirts.

"Hey, Astrid?" She stopped me as I began walking out. I whirled around. 

 "Yeah?"

"This is for you," She smiled and tossed something at me. It lay limply on my head and I laughed while taking it off. It was a shirt, no--a sweater. It was grey with little blue stripes down the arms. It was beautiful.

"Thanks."

I started leaving again, really happy for what Quinn had done. It wasn't just a sweater, although very nice, it was a sort of peace offering. Now I knew things were going to change around school--at least I hoped they would.

I boarded the bus and waved a small goodbye to the cabin. And it wasn't until I was sitting in the back with Oliver and driving away that I realized we hadn't engraved our names. In a way, I was glad we hadn't. Now all we had were the memories themselves, forced to be remembered.

"So, you wanted to talk to me?" I turned to Oliver, who was sitting on the outside of me. My eyes couldn't help but drift to the snow that still thickly covered the ground.

"Uh-well, yeah..." He blushed a little, "I just wanted to say that--"

"Excuse me? I just need to talk with Astrid for a moment." Mr. Wades appeared in front of us and Oliver nodded quickly. He took a seat with Macy a few spots up. I invited Mr. Wades to sit in my seat with me.

"We called all of your parents from the store to let them know what was going on and most of them were content with us calling when things were sorted out or if there was anything wrong. I thought you'd like to know that your mother called us every ten minutes and begged us to find a way to get you."

It took me a moment to process it all and even then it didn't make sense. Maybe she'd just wanted me for something. I couldn't ignore the voice in the back of my head saying that she'd really been worried about me. Worried.  I couldn't stop thinking about it as Mr. Wades left and Oliver joined me again.

"What did he say?"

"Nothing important, what where you saying before he came?"

Oliver smiled, "Nothing important."

                                                                                   ♦ ♦ ♦