i c i c l e s║vii

i c i c l e s║vii

                                                                                  ♦ ♦ ♦

It was getting late and Oliver and I had already gone back inside. Mr. Wades had come back for a bit hours ago and had told us he and the other teachers were going to a small town not far to buy some food and supplies. It would only take about an hour and they trusted that we were responsible enough to stay inside.

I sat on my bed, Macy above me moving around to the beat of whatever song she was listening to. Quinn was doing her makeup again, apparently the drive here had worn it off and Tyler was kicking a ball around in the empty middle of the room. Oliver was taking pictures of everyone, squinting his left eye to get the perfect shot. I thought it was quite cute he wanted to document this. Abigail, however, was nowhere to be found.

I suspected she was in the bathroom reading, like she usually was found at school. Nobody really bothered to look for her; I wonder if that bothered her? I guess she was as used to people not caring as I was to being called Arianna. Maybe my mother thought that if she called me it enough it would lead me to believe it really was my name. Somehow Abigail's situation seemed similar. If she stayed away long enough maybe everyone would really think she was invisible.

I felt almost mean, just sitting there, and so I rose from my bed. My sock feet skirted nervously on the wood floor as I made my way to the bathroom.

The door was closed and underneath the tiny slice of light shone out. I balled my hand into a fist and made three brisk knocks on the door.

"Occupied." Abigail's voice rang out. I crossed my arms, felling my stomach appose to its lack of food. I ignored it.

"I know." I tried to think of something, "I was just wondering if you wanted to come out and hang out. I could paint your nails or something."

There was a soft "ohh" sound, followed by shuffling. The door clicked and slowly Abigail's head poked through the crack. Her mess of brown hair hung mostly in her face, which made me giggle slightly.

"Really?" She asked. I nodded quickly and she disappeared back in the bathroom. She appeared a moment later, book in hand.

We all walked over to my bed and were only sat down for a second when the phone began to ring.

Everyone went for the phone at once, but Quinn shooed us all away.

"I've got it." She told us, as if she was the crowned queen. I didn't remember Mr. Wades leaving anyone particular in charge, but I guess Quinn gladly stepped up to the plate.

Quinn lifted the receiver to her ear. "Hello?"

We all stood around her, silent. I assumed the worst. Mr. Wades was probably dead, crazed moose attack or something. Quinn nodded a few times and replied over and over with "Okay".

Finally the call was over and she hung up after saying a soft "Goodbye". I knew it couldn't be anything terrible because she looked so calm. Quinn turned around, her arms at her sides and gave us all a frazzled look.

All of a sudden she let out an ear piercing scream. I plugged my ears and looking around, so did everyone else. She ran to her bed and fell face-down on it, still screaming. I could practically hear her vocal cords breaking in half.

Tyler went over to comfort her and everyone else pretended to go back to what they were doing, but really was listening to see what was happening. Quinn finally sat up and yelled at the top of her lungs.