Chapter 14

New chapter already!!! I know, this is my fastest update in, like, forever... Haha, but did you guys see I got ranked with the last update? That was so awesome, indescribably, excitingly, awesome! Haha I think I'm just throwing out words now, but thank you to everyone that reads, votes, and comments! You guys are the best!

Chapter Fourteen

I was doomed. There’s just no getting around it. My death is inevitable.

My father stood in the doorway waiting for me looking like he wanted to set something on fire. My best guess was Taylor. “Charlotte.” He greeted me in an angry rumble, his voice coming out between clenched teeth.

I gulped, and then realized my mouth was painfully dry. “Hi Daddy.” I said in a small voice with a big smile. I was trying to butter him up to make him go easy on me, but his glare didn’t falter. It took me a moment to remember… go easy on me for what? My father’s stern look automatically made me feel guilty, but I couldn’t quite come up with what I had done wrong exactly.

“Why was Riggins sitting in our driveway at eight in the morning?” he growled.

“Oh, he…” I faltered. I didn’t exactly want to tell Dad that he came over to apologize. He already seemed to dislike Taylor plenty, plus we had just agreed to be friends. Friends didn’t rat each other out. “He just wanted to know if we could hang out.” Why did that have to be the first excuse I came up with? “I said we could after I cleaned up from my run.”

Dad grunted. “Why didn’t he just call you instead of sitting in our driveway for an hour?”

Mental face-palm moment. “Uh, he said his phone was broken.”

Dad stared me down and I started to sweat profusely. Luckily, I was still pretty sweaty from my grueling morning so I don’t think he could tell. Finally, he gave another displeased grunt. “Fine, but I don’t like him.”

I smiled at my overprotective father. “We’re just friends, Dad.”

“Good, let’s keep it that way.”

All the sudden my mother came whipping around the corner, her red hair so unlike my father’s and my black hair, trailing behind her. “Oh, there you are Charlie!” She squeaked, her face alight with excitement.

I smiled. There was always something about Mom’s childlike enthusiasm that was contagious. “Here I am.” I answered teasingly.

“So, me and Aunt Cathy were thinking-” She started, bouncing on her toes.

“Oh boy, that’s never good.” Dad muttered. I giggled while Mom jabbed an elbow into his side.

“Anyway!” She shot a playful glare at Dad. He held up his hands and left for his office. “We wanted to take you girls to Austin! I haven’t been there in forever and you’ve never been there. I thought it would be fun and figured you might miss a little city life.” Mom grinned.

“Oh yeah, that sounds great, but I just forced Sophie to go shopping yesterday so I don’t know how she’ll feel about it.” I warned.

“Oh, we can do other things besides shopping.” My mother waved away my concern with a flick of her wrist.

“Okay, when did you guys want to go?”

“Well, that depends.” Mom looked at me with exaggerated puppy dog eyes. Uh-oh.

“On what?” I asked feeling a sense of dread settle in my gut. What was she up to? It was probably bad. She only pulls out the puppy dog eyes when it’s really bad.