Chapter 12

Hey everyone! Again, i'm so sorry that i've been taking so long to update! it's this deadly combination of writers' block and a shit ton of school work. But here's a chapter for you!

Chapter 12

I didn’t really think this whole dramatic exit thing out too well. Taylor drove us here… eliminating Sophie as my ride home. I blinked at the parking lot. Damn Texas and its complete lack of public transportation. The subway seems like a truly beautiful thing right now.

I could walk home, I suppose. It was pretty far, but I’m sure I’ve done worse. I did once walk eighty blocks in one go. That was impressive. Guess now I have to do it curbside.

Deciding, I started across the lot feeling determined, my shoulders stiff and my back straight. “Hey, you need a ride?”

“Oh my god, yes!” I called relieved, practically jumping with joy.

Hey, if I don’t have to walk home… I mean, I’m not about to turn down a ride.

I turned toward my rescuer. “Matt?”

“Hey, don’t sound so surprised.” Matt gave me an innocent grin and I was instantly chagrined. Matt was the self-elected captain of my Phys Ed football team who I had always found a bit annoying. And now here he was saving my ass from a long walk home on my already sore legs.

I think it’s safe to say I am a terrible judge of character.

“You’re right, sorry. I didn’t mean to.” I cast my eyes down as I followed him to his truck.

“Don’t worry about it Charlie. I was just joking.” He stopped in front of his Dodge Ram and opened the door for me. I felt my cheeks color. I knew opening doors for girls was a normal southern gentlemen thing to do, but I couldn’t help but feel a little uncomfortable by it. It wasn’t something that ever happened in New York and I was quite used to opening my own doors. I think Taylor had sensed that about me from the beginning. Either that or he wasn’t in the typical southern gentleman mold. Before tonight I would have said the former. Now I wasn’t so sure.

I tried to turn my mind away from my depressing thoughts as Matt settled behind the wheel. The truck rumbled to life and he pulled out of the lot. “So, where to?”

I gave him directions to my house as he drove, but we didn’t try for any other conversation. When we reached the house Matt turned off the truck, much to my surprise. I hoped he wasn’t expecting to be invited in because that sounds awkward. “Well, thanks for the ride, Matt. I really appreciate it.” I smiled as I tried to make a graceful exit, but Matt spoke before I could get the door open.

“I take it you’re not going to Jaime’s party tonight.” Matt raised his blonde brow at me.

“That would be a resounding no.” I winced at how bitter and childishly grumpy that came out sounding. “I’m really tired from the game and everything.” I sighed. That wasn’t much better.

“You found out about Taylor and Jaime, didn’t you?” Matt asked.

“What about Taylor and Jaime?” I questioned sharply.

“What? Uh, nevermind. It’s really none of my business anyway.” Matt desperately tried to backtrack.

“Matt, tell me! What about them? What were you talking about?” I demanded fiercely, which is actually kind of stupid and embarrassing. It’s like I have to keep reminding myself that Taylor and I are not dating. I have no reason to feel so possessive of him. He’s not mine. And now I’m even less sure that I want him to be. He’s hot, funny, and loves football just as much or more than I do, but he’s not reliable or loyal. He proved that tonight. And aren’t those things that I should be looking for in a boyfriend? Isn’t that what any sane girl should do?