Chapter 2: Escape is sweet

• Dedicated to Rachel Morris

New years day. Check. Pinned under a vampire. Double check. 50% chance of dying. I'll take my chances.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" He snarled.

"Dude, you just almost got saliva on me!"

Shit! Why did I say that? Mya, this is not the moment to get snarky. I told myself.

He pulled my bandana down my face so it was around my neck, giving him a good look of my face. I glared up at him and that is when I got a good look at him.

He was beautiful, like Greek god beautiful. He had a strong jaw which at this point was clenched in anger. His eyes were a gorgeous forest green with flecks of yellow in, which I assume was because he was angry. His hair was a mess of dark chestnut brown curls, which incidentally made him less scary and intimidating.

"Where did you come from?"he asked.

"My mother, I'm told." I looked up at him.

He bared his fangs at me, growling at me with frustration. Now that had me scared because it wasn't just an imitate a dog growl, this was a genuine growl that sounded like it should belong to a tiger or another large cat.

"Just tell me. Now!"

"Never!"

I moved myself so my lips brushed against his, watching his expression go from anger to shock. In less than a second he kissed me back forcefully, his hand loosening slightly on my wrist. I pulled on his bottom lip with my teeth gently, then I bit down hard. I tasted the blood in my mouth and felt him pull away but I didn't delay.

I forced my knee up, connecting it with his groin. He doubled over beside me groaning in pain, however he was still on top of me. I rolled slightly onto my side before hitting him in the side of the head with my elbow with as much force as I could muster.

I pushed him off my fully, before pushing myself up of the ground. When I was standing, I kicked him swiftly in the gut before running from the room. I ran to the stair case where I jumped off onto the ground below instead of wasting time going down them. I landed, stumbling slightly, before running towards the kitchen and out the door.

When I reached the outside, the girls had already gone which left me to find my own way back. I sprinted across the large lawn, reaching the gate where the unconscious guards were. I chuckled to myself but continued running, knowing there was little time before the vampire would have recovered.

I choose to run via the woods nearby where there was a river I could run through, hopefully allowing me to get away as it would wash away my scent. As I ran, I had to jump over roots, duck down to avoid low branches with only the moon light to guide me.

After about an hour of running, I begun to hear the trickling of water and I knew I wasn't far. I pushed myself even harder than before with my goal now within earshot. Within ten minutes of hearing the river, i burst through thicket and straight into the river.

The river was murky and grey but reflected the moonlight where it had broken through the leafless trees. I waded through with even a moment hesitation, knowing full well the dangers of a river in winter. But it didn't appear too swollen and by the time I reached the deepest part, it only went to my armpit. The water was way below the 0°c but I really didn't care so much, as long as I got away.

I climbed up the bank at the other side, the wind causing a chill to course through my body but I got up and continued running. By the time I was once again out of earshot of the river, A cold splodge landed on my cheek. I looked up at the sky where I could see a few specks of water coming down. Great! Just my luck.