We Can Do This (Joe's POV)

Well, today has just been an emotional roller coaster. And to end it, the love of my lives, my own wife and child, are dead. They're gone and there was nothing I could do to stop it. This all sucks. I'm trying to stay strong though. I'm trying not to cry anymore. I'm trying to not show any emotion at all because if I do, it's just going to take us that much longer to track Meagan down. I don't want that, Elisa doesn't want there, and Pete sure as hell doesn't want that. That's the love of his life. I lost mine and I can't let him lose his.

Now here we all are; Andy is practically walking me down to the woods, and I'm pretty sure he's going to give up any second and literally carry me. It's hard for him, I can tell, and I'm trying to help, but you can't exactly walk on a broken leg and with shooting pain happening constantly. I'm trying my best.

Once we finally got to the woods, we all stopped so I could rest. I told them I was fine and insisted we keep going, but they insisted we stop. I couldn't argue anymore, so I gave in. I sat down on a tree stump and scoped the area out. After a little while, I asked Patrick if he'd try and find some branches or something that would be big enough to hold my weight. He said he would, then went off in search. Pete went after him to help and to also make sure nothing bad happened.

"Joe, I'm so sorry," Elisa said as she came over by me and hugged me.

"Thanks," I said, on the verge of tears again.

"You know we're never going to forget her," she said. "She was amazing, beautiful, lovable, funny, smart, and perfect. She's one of my best friends and she'll never be forgotten."

"T-Thanks," I said, sobbing after two seconds of Elisa talking.

"Shh, shh, shh," she said as she took me into her arms. "Everything will all be ok. Shh."

"I-I just miss her," I sobbed. "One minute she's here and the next minute, she's shot and killed. What am I going to do? She was carrying our baby. They're both gone."

"I know, but you'll have us. I know it's not the same, but Joe, we're going to be here for you. You're like a brother to me, ok? I'm here for you," she said.

"T-Thank you," I stuttered out.

The three of us sat there for another good ten or fifteen minutes. My cries filled the air around us, but then soon, it was silent; only the sounds of the birds, insects, and the wind could be heard. It was kind of relaxing after everything to be honest. Just the three of us and our thoughts.

"Hey, um it's been a while since the guys left," Elisa said. "I'm getting kind of worried..."

"Good point," Andy said. "You don't think something happened, do you?"

"I hope not," I said. "I can't take anything else."

"I hope you're ri-"

And that's when we heard two piercing, loud screams from deep in the woods. . .