Chapter 3

I barely left my house over the next couple of days. After what happened at the diner, I didn't wanna see anyone. I know, it wasn't even that bad. But that's just how I am. If I have any awkward encounter I don't really leave the house afterwards fearing that it might happen again. I was in the garage as usual. I was checking one last thing on the car. My music was interrupted by a text tone.

Walking over to the work bench, I noticed an unknown number. The text said it was the kid from the diner. I asked him how he got my number. In a split second, he messaged back. He said from Lindsey. I didn't bother responding. I called Lindsey. She picked on the third ring.

"Hello?"

"Why'd you give that kid my number?"

"He asked for it. So I gave it to him."

"Without asking me?"

"It's okay. Hey, I'll call you later."

She hung up. I groaned in frustration. I noticed I had a missed text from him. He wanted to meet at the diner. I responded nervously asking what time. He said tonight at eight. I said okay. He read the message but didn't respond.

I put my phone down and got back to work. I was debating on if I should drive the Chevelle. It doesn't have a good paint job. She's mechanically ready. Or should I just drive my every day Ford Focus? I decided on the Chevelle. The issues and questions of every car person. Debating on which car they should drive. I knew a guy at the body shop up the street. I would just get him to do a paint job after tonight.

But now I had to think about tonight. It was just nearing four. I had three hours to kill. And these next three hours were going to be the death of me.

Eight rolled around. I was stressing real bad. I jacked up the Chevelle and removed the two jack stands on the driver side and the same on the passenger side. Getting the car, I turned the key and she started right away. The purr of the engine soothed me. Thirteen years, more like three, in the making. I made sure to grab the garage door opener from the Focus and stick it on the visor of the Chevelle. Now it was time to go.

I turned on the radio and the sound system sounded great. I made my way down to the diner to meet my secret admirer. My anxiety was kicking in. I've never met up with anyone before. But I guess there's a first for everything. Pulling up to the diner, I found a spot closest to the entrance. I got out and headed inside. I saw the guy and took a deep breath and walked over.

"Hey," he said with a smile.

"Hey." I responded back nervously.

I sat down in front of him. "I'm sorry your friend had to introduce us like that. I would like to introduce myself formally. I'm Preston and it's nice to meet you."

"Nova. It's nice to meet you too."

"That's a unique name. Where does it come from?"

A waitress came over and handed the both of us menus. She left and I was with Preston once again.

"My dad was a mechanic. His favorite car growing up was 1970s Chevrolet Nova. So that's how I got my name."

Preston was interested. "Are you like your dad? Do you work on cars?"

I nod.

The waitress came back and took our orders. She removed the menus and we continued talking. I told him about my interest in cars. He then asked me a question that I never liked hearing: "Do you live with your parents?"

"I'd rather not really talk about it."

He told me sorry and I told him it was okay. I always hated telling people my story. But I wasn't going to throw myself on him all at once. We continued talking about cars. It's weird. I never met someone who had the same interests as me. We liked the same music, we liked cars, we had the same style in clothing as well. This was all new to me. Conversating with people. And I kind of like it. Maybe meeting Preston wasn't a bad thing after all.

When we walked outside, the first thing Preston noticed was the Chevelle. "Is this yours?"

I nod. "Rebuilt all on my own."

He looked shocked. "There was no help at all?"

"I mean, from my dad. It was supposed to be his car. But he passed and then it was handed to me."

"I'm sorry."

I chuckled. "It's fine."

"Well, my car ain't anything special but I drive the crappy '97 Camry over there."

I shrugged. "I should probably get going. Can I message you later?"

"Sure."

He smiled and walked back to his car. I got in mine and rested my head against the head rest. A smiled formed on my face. I think I'm finally falling in love. And this feeling is one of the greatest I've ever felt in a while. This night is my most memorable night in a while.

I went home and right when I pulled into the driveway, my phone went off. I looked down and noticed it was Preston. I still didn't save his number which this is good time for me to remind myself to. He was thanking for a great night. I smiled to myself and responded. He texted me good night and I did the same. When I got the Chevelle in the garage, I locked her up and headed inside. And tonight is the first night I'm falling asleep happy.