Chapter 6

There was knocking coming from downstairs. I threw my hair up into a messy bun as I ran downstairs. "I'm coming!" I called.

I opened the door and Preston was standing at the door. He had a big smile on his face.

"What's up beautiful?" He chuckled.

"Uh, not much." I said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to surprise you." I noticed he was hiding something behind his back. "And I brought you a little something."

He brought his around to the front and showed me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. I felt my mouth gape open. "Preston. You shouldn't have." He wrapped his arms around me as he pulled me close. I nuzzled my head in his chest. Preston rested his head on mine. I pulled away from his embrace.

Preston kissed my cheek. "Come on in." I said with a smile.

I decided to find a vase to put the flowers in. Once I found one, I walked to the kitchen. As filled the vase, I felt a hand on the small of my back. I jumped a little. The vase filled, and I set the flowers in it.

Preston was behind me with a big smile on his face. I smiled and set the vase down on the counter. "There's something I want to mention."

"What's up." Preston rested his hands on my waist.

I sighed and looked towards the ground. "I want to let you know, I've never had a boyfriend. I've never kissed anyone." I moved away from him in shame.

"Nova," Preston came up behind me. "My views aren't changing because of that. You're one of the most amazing girls I have ever met." He turned me to face him. He cupped my face. "You are beautiful. You're caring. And I know we just started talking, but nothing will ever change my views on you."

I scanned his eyes. "Really?"

He smiled. "Yes really."

Tears formed in my eyes. I tried blinking them away, but some still slipped. "Do you mean it?"

He nods and smiles. "I really do."

I covered my face with my hands. I wasn't crying because of sadness, but of happiness. Preston wrapped his arms around me. "I never had anyone say this to me." I muffled through my hands.

Preston chuckled. "You can now say I'm the first."

I lifted my head up. Preston wiped away my tears. His smile made me feel something I never have. My phone went off, disturbing the scene. I sighed and pulled my phone out. It was the unknown number again. I decided to answer it.

"Hello?"

"You're gonna be next. It'll be just like your parents." The voice was crackly and distorted.

"Who is this?" I asked, my heart racing.

The call ended. I stared at my phone as the lock screen came up. Preston looked at me. "If I tell you, I'm sure you'll judge."

"I don't judge." He held his hands up.

I gained up the courage. I told him about my parents. And the night with our house burning down. Whoever has been calling me, they knew about my parent's death. And how it happened. I tried not to think about it. Preston reassured me by saying nothing is going to happen to me. He gently kissed my forehead. "You're gonna be okay."

I nod. "I'm probably gonna go lie down for a bit."

"You want me to stay with you?" Preston scratched the back of his neck.

A small smile formed on my face. "I'd like that."

I turned to go upstairs. Preston followed behind me. I made it to my room and collapsed on the bed. "You're such a goof."

I went to lie on my back. Preston went to the other side of the bed. He climbed in next to me. I turned on my side and I felt Preston's arm wrap around me. He pulled me close. A small smile formed on my face. Before I knew it, I was sound asleep.

I awoke to my phone ringing. Lindsey's name was on the caller I.D. I looked over and Preston was asleep as well. His arm was still protectively around my waist.

"Hello?" I asked, a hint of sleep in my voice.

"Did I wake you up?" Lindsey's voice came through the other end.

"Yeah. I was just taking a bit of a nap. What's up?"

There was silence on the other end. "So, Brandon and I together now."

My heart dropped. "Congrats. I'm happy for you."

I heard Preston shift behind me. "I gotta go. I'll text you later." Lindsey hung up the phone.

I didn't even get to say goodbye. Something seemed off about this. She didn't seem excited. Was that her meaning she wasn't going to talk to me anymore? Because we haven't been talking as often. To think my best friend has left breaks my heart. I sat up, forgetting Preston was still next to me. He groaned.

"Is everything okay?" Sleep laced his voice.

"I – I think my best friend just replaced me." I choked out.

"What makes you say that?" Preston sat up.

"She pretty much told me her and her boyfriend are together now. And hung up on me."

Preston sighed. He sat next to me and wrapped an arm around me. "You don't know if she actually left. Did she say anything else?"

"'I'll text you later.' And she ended the call."

Preston told me to wait and see if she texts me. I nodded. He offers to take me out for dinner. I accept his offer. We clean ourselves up. I go downstairs and grab my keys.

"Nah. You're not driving tonight." Preston came up behind me.

I chuckled. "And why not?"

"Because it should be the guy driving the beautiful girl."

I snorted. "You're telling that to the wrong girl."

"I'm not." He turned me around. His hands rested on my waist. "She's standing right in front of me." His voice lowered. A small smile formed on his face. He kissed my forehead. "Come on, let's go eat." And with that, we left.