Chapter 8 - Tears and Drink

Chapter 8

*Harry’s P.O.V*

The nurses tried to get us all to leave as they don’t want too many people to be in the room but I refused. I’m currently in the exact same position I’ve been in for about 4 hours now. Josh has also stayed put too. Every so often, he glances up at me and I swear he keeps giving me a dirty look. I haven’t stopped crying yet either. I’m silently praying that he’ll wake up.

“Ni, come on baby, I love you, please don’t leave me! I don’t know what I’ll do without you.” I hear Josh scoff and glare at him.

“If you really loved him, he wouldn’t be led here dying would he?!” He spat while caressing my boyfriend’s hand. Just as I was about to retort, the door opened and a distraught Maura, Chris, Bobby and Greg enter. Maura breaks down in tears as she sees her youngest son looking so lifeless. Josh stands and helps Chris take Maura to the chair he previously vacated while Bobby and Greg just stand there looking heartbroken.

“Why the fuck was nobody watching him?!” Greg lets his frustration out as Bobby goes to sit in the spare seat opposite Maura.

“Because SOMEONE couldn’t stay faithful and pushed him over the edge!” Josh didn’t even try to hide the venom as he points straight at me. I know this is all my fault but I don’t need my “friends” to start blaming me too.

“It wasn’t like that!” I protest through tears.

“Get out Harry!” I go to protest again but Greg cuts me off “I said GET OUT!!!” Reluctantly, I stand and after gently kissing Niall’s forehead, head towards the door. Greg and Josh both glare at me as I slowly exit the room.

*Liam’s P.O.V*

If I had just been braver, none of this would have happened! I’m currently sat outside Niall’s room. Preston has stayed with me while Louis, Zayn and Paul have gone to the cafeteria. Harry and Josh are still in Niall’s room. I couldn’t bear to stay in there, it kills me to see Niall that way, pale and lifeless with machines doing everything for him. It kills me not to be able to see his beautiful blue eyes, hear his addicting laugh or get one of his infamous Horan hugs. Okay, I will admit it, I’m in love with my best friend. I have been since X Factor, but he’d never look at me like that. When I found out he was gay, I had a slight bit of hope that he might like me but of course I can’t compete with Harry. Everyone wants to be with Harry. I can make Niall so much happier though! I was distracted from my thoughts when I hear familiar Irish voices getting louder. I start to sob again, Greg is literally an older version of Niall. If I look at him, I know I’ll break.

“Liam, how is he?” Greg asks me, as he sits beside me, I glance up at him and can see he’s trying to be strong, something I’ve completely failed with. I just shake my head and look back down.

“Hey, he’s a Horan, he’s a strong lad! He’ll come through this.” Greg pulls me into him and tries to comfort me. Other than Zayn, he’s the only one who knows about my feelings for Niall.

“I-I should b-be c-comforting y-you, n-not the o-other way round.” I reluctantly pull away, he smells so much like Niall too, and look at the elder brother who chuckles sadly and stands.

“Is anyone in there?” I nod and manage to tell him Harry and Josh are there. He nods and glances at his family before slowly opening the door and entering the room, followed by his parents and step-father. After a few minutes, I can hear Josh shouting something about staying faithful and then Greg’s booming voice, something I’d never heard from the normally softly spoken lad, yelling to get out. What’s going on? A few seconds later, the ICU door opens and a sobbing Harry exits.

“What was that about?” He just shakes his head and walks past me. I exchange confused looks with Preston.

“Will you be okay here Li? I think I’d better go check on Harry, make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid.” I nod and he gives me a quick hug, whispering an ‘it’ll all be okay’ before walking off after the youngest lad. I sink back down in the chair and after letting a few more tears fall, close my eyes.

“Liam, Liam mate, wake up.” I hear an Irish voice speaking, I slowly open my eyes to see Greg with tears running down his face.

“What’s happened??”

“Still no change. Did you know this was caused by Harry?”

“WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT DID THAT LITTLE FUCKER DO??????” The anger towards their relationship has boiled over! I am fuming!

“Josh said that this all probably happened because Niall saw Harry and Louis getting close earlier on.”

“Is that what the yelling was about?” He nods, I knew that he didn’t approve of Niall liking Harry but he was always civil towards him. I swear I’ll kill Harry!

“Come on in Li, I don’t want you out here on your own and he should have his best friend beside him.” I nod and take Greg’s outstretched hand, once I’m stood, he releases my hand and slings his arm over my shoulder, guiding me into the room. It takes all my strength to not break down at the sight, even Bobby was crying, I’ve never known him to break down. Greg guides me towards a seat and Maura glances up and smiles sadly at me, I try to smile back, but my muscles don’t want me too.

*Harry’s P.O.V*

“What was that about?” Liam asks as I step out of the room, I just shake my head at him, I can’t deal with anyone else hating on me, I notice that none of the other lads are here, I need Lou, he’s the only one that understands me. I head off down the corridor and can’t seem to find any of the lads, I need a drink. I don’t care what time it is, I pick up my pace and hail down a cab outside the hospital. The driver drops me off at the nearest bar, I hand him 30euro and head inside the bar. It’s quite early I think because it’s light out but I don’t care. I need a drink. I order a pint and down it within seconds.

I’ve lost count how many I’ve had but I keep going, the more I drink, the more I forget, a girl comes over to me, takes my hand and drags me to the dance floor, I don’t complain and in my drunken state, I actually enjoy her grinding on me, finally I can’t take it anymore so I spin her around and furiously attach my lips to hers, she kisses back with just as much force. It was a sloppy kiss but enough to leave us both wanting more, I pull away, gasping for breath and grabbing her hand, head towards the exit. I hail down another cab and direct him to our hotel. The boys won’t be back so we won’t be interrupted.