Mate

Warning!!! I know parts of this book have been pretty dark and I've portrayed some mature content without going into graphic detail but this chapter is why the book is marked mature.

Adults only for this chapter. If you don't want to read it you don't have to.

Happy Reading.

Love
NJ Kuhr
XOXO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The room was massive with the bed facing the view with one of those half walls behind the headboard that separated the room in two. It left a huge open space behind the bed but worked with the room.

Bash hadn't bothered utilizing the architect's vision so it felt unfinished. There weren't many personal touches or knickknacks, looking around I noticed there weren't any at all. The floor was the same wine barrel hardwood as the rest of the house which I was pretty sure was the only detail Bash contributed to the design. The sparse furniture made me think he didn't spend time here. Sleep and hygiene. Come to think of it, he'd always call it 'the cabin' never home. I could change that.

He was lying on his back without a shirt on. Leaning into the pillows he looked like I had caught him deep in thought, staring out the windows; one hand thrown over his head the other resting low on his stomach. The comforter of his California king bed was folded at the end neat as a soldiers bunk with the corners triangled and tucked. The navy sheet was draped over his waist with one leg out bent at the knee.

He rolled onto his side putting his weight on his elbow and leaned up. "Parker, is everything alright?"

This was either the best idea I've ever had or the worst idea I've ever had.

I swallowed dragging my eyes away from the happy trail that started below his belly button and disappeared under the sheets. When I met his eyes I stammered, my words running into each other. "I'm jumping at shadows. Would it be alright if I sleep in here with you? All these windows are making me edgy. I can't sleep. I keep thinking I'm seeing things."

The lack of response told me that I'd made a huge mistake. His blank face was enough for me to start backing away. "Nevermind. Don't worry. I'm being stupid. Go back to bed."

"Parker, wait." He motioned for me to come in so I pushed the door back open enough for me to step through. "I'm sorry. Of course you can sleep here. I'm surprised you asked is all."

"Are you sure? I don't want to bother you. My mind is playing tricks on me. Is there another room that doesn't have as many windows?" I hadn't closed the door, prepared to save face and leave. What I was thinking.

"Come here." When I didn't move he smirked, his voice dropped to a purr. "Come here and close the door. I would love it if you slept in here tonight. The shadows won't bother you."

The door closed with almost no noise. Tiptoeing across the room I came up on the side of the bed then hesitated. The bed and dresser were the only pieces of furniture in the room making it feel even emptier. There was nowhere else in the room for me to sleep and I knew Bash would never allow me to sleep on the floor. I really didn't think this through.

Bash gave me his sideways grin and motioned for me to climb into his bed. I set one knee on the mattress and had to push up on my other foot with a little hop. I laid down near the side so I wouldn't take up too much space. Bash sighed. "You're going to fall off in your sleep and crack your head open. There's plenty of room. I've seen how you sleep. You need a good two feet on both sides so you can roll."