Chapter 16: Just Fine

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for over 400 readers! That's crazy! I love each and every one of you so much. Reviews and votes are almost as exciting as birthdays to me, so any feedback, whether positive or negative, is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy this chapter. I'm not totally happy with it, but I think it shows the complexity of how Nessie and Jake feel about disagreeing over something this serious.

Let me know what you think!

Love, 

           AmelieDaydream xxx

Renesmee

The entire family fell into a kind of trancelike routine after the first few days of our return. We didn't know how long we had left, but everything seemed eerily calm. Last time we had been threatened by the Volturi, it was all so hectic. There were people and plans and preparations. This time it was as if nothing had changed, except the air of foreboding that lingered around us all. My leg was healed, all my scars fast disappearing. I should have been happy about that, but at least before I had an excuse to sit and do nothing, whereas now I had to keep myself constantly occupied as I had always done, or my family would worry about me.

Jacob was the one who kept me going. I'd watch him leave his cottage from my window each morning as soon as it was light, and bound over to our front door. I would fling it open before he had time to knock, and then I would be in his arms, safe.

We always found something to do, but it got pretty repetitive, just swimming, or hunting, sometimes skating. Sometimes we would study in preparation for school the following week, but we all knew more than the teachers, so there really wasn't much point.

But overall, the days were fine. Alice would sit at the far end of the garden for hours, attempting to see what was going to happen to everyone. My parents would sit with Carlisle and Esme in the study, discussing options in low voices. Rosalie and Emmet were rarely seen. They were, um, pretty busy "spending quality time together", if you catch my drift. And Jasper...well, there was no real way to describe how Jasper was behaving. He was almost...not happy exactly, but he was always wearing this expression of grim determination, and he would spend ages planning things that I could scarcely understand if I tried. He behaved as if he was back in the military, planning tactics and calculating our chances. I decided that he wasn't happy with the situation, none of us were, but he was in his element, managing us like an army.

I worked this to my advantage sometimes, begging him to teach me to fight, which he did gladly. I was getting pretty good, and had pinned Jacob more than once when he was off guard in his human form.

It was the nights that killed me. More often than not, the day would end in a colossal argument. Mom, Jacob, Emmett and Jasper were all dead set on fighting the Volturi, no matter what the consequences were, so long as I was safe. Emmett and Jasper had actually started planning a trip to visit the Romanians and request an alliance with their army.

Dad agreed with me that the risk of loss was too great, and I couldn't help but notice the desperate way he looked between me and my mother as he argued his point. Esme and Rose were also on my side. I was a little surprised by my aunt; I had expected her to be up for a fight, but the motherly way she looked at me, at my fading scars, made me realise that she was just as afraid for everyone as I was.

Alice and Carlisle refused to take sides. My grandfather was battling with all his morals, unsure of the best course of action, although he maintained that he would like to speak with Vladimir and Stefan, whether that was to ask for their help or not. Alice would base her opinions on her visions, if and when they showed her some clear images. The pair of them steered clear of our raging fights, along with Esme, who despite her opinion, refused to argue with her family.