Chapter 5

Roman opened the door on his beautiful, black 1963 Sting Ray.

"Wow its beautiful Roman.  Have you supercharged the engine or are you still running on stock?" I asked admiring the car.

"Supercharged of course," he smiled proudly. "I did all of the work myself.  It now gets about 650 horsepower.  It's still not as fast as I'd like it, but it will do for now."  He opened the passenger door for me and I looked at the custom leather interior before sliding in.

We drove in silence for about 5 minutes with nothing but the radio on.  All of a sudden "The Only Exception" by Paramore came onto the radio.  I couldn't help but sing along.

When I was younger

I saw my daddy cry

And curse at the wind

He broke his own heart

And I watched

As he tried to reassemble it

And my momma swore that

She would never let herself forget

And that was the day that I promised

I'd never sing of love

If it does not exist

But darling'

You are the only exception

Maybe I know, somewhere

Deep in my soul

That love never lasts

And we've got to find other ways

To make it alone

Or keep a straight face

And I've always lived like this

Keeping a comfortable distance

And up until now

I had sworn to myself that I'm content

With loneliness

Because none of it was ever worth the risk

You are the only exception

I've got a tight grip on reality, but I can't

Let go of what's in front of me here

I know you're leaving in the morning, when you wake up

Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream

You are the only exception

you are the only exception

and I'm on my way to believing

Oh, and I'm on my way to believing

When the song ended I realized that Roman had been singing along with me as well as looking at me.  As he caught my eye I began to blush like crazy.  As I looked back out the window I noticed that the car had stopped.  I immediately recognized the house as the old Sparks plantation.  I had come here many times as a child to play in the creek and to get away from my house.

"You live here?  This is one of the most amazing houses around here.  I used to come play here with D.J. when we were little.  It was like my sanctuary.  I didn't realize that anyone moved in," I exclaimed still unable to look away from the house.

"Well no one did live here until about a month ago," Roman smiled at me.  "We bought it and have been slowly moving our things over from our home in Wales."

"Do you miss it?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Wales?  I miss my friends, but I do believe I am starting to like it here in Middletown," he said squeezing my hand gently then kissing it.  "Would you like to go inside?"

"Yeah I would like that.  Besides we can't let D.J. and Keith have too much alone time," I smiled winking and gesturing toward the Jeep Wrangler parked further up the drive.

We stepped out of the car and walked hand-in-hand to the front door.  As we stepped in and walked to the kitchen we can across D.J. and Keith in an embrace.  Roman made a slight cough causing both of them to jump.  We started laughing at the look on their faces.

"Busy big brother?" Roman teased his older brother, an easy smile playing on his lips.

"Well I was until you interrupted little brother," Keith said emphasizing the word little.

I looked over to D.J. and caught his eye.  I gave him quick thumbs up and looked at Keith.  I smiled showing my approval and he relaxed a bit smiling back.

"Who is this gorgeous you lady with you?" Keith asked eyeing me.  "This can't be the Miss Penelope that I've heard so much about."

"Yes Hun, that's my best friend since forever Penelope Renee Fiorentino," D.J. smiled up at him.

"Well Miss Penelope it is very nice to meet you," Keith said as he shook my free hand seeing as Roman still had a hold of my other one.

"It's nice to meet you too Keith," I smiled at him.

"So Keith, are you going to help me cook or would you like to entertain our guests?" Roman asked looking at his brother.  

"Actually dinner is already taken care of, as is the entertainment," Keith smiled looking proud of himself.

"Oh really?  What exactly have you put together?  Should I be worried?" Roman asked looking slightly shocked.

"Well you will just have to wait and see, now won't you?" Keith said with a mischievous gleam in his eye.

"Should I be scared?" I asked jokingly.

"Of what?  It's not like you're dinner," Keith laughed and I noticed that D.J. and Roman looked uncomfortable.  "Anyways let's go eat."

~*Author's Note*~

So sorry for the delay.  Been very busy with my classes and help taking care of my mother-in-law who seems to be getting worse.  However, since y'all have been so patient with me I am uploading 2 chapters back-to-back.  I will be getting internet on Monday so I will try to upload at least once a week if not twice.

As always vote, comment, share, and tweet.  I have been considering entering this in the Watty Awards so please support the effort.

As always <3

S.A. Kirby

P.S.  I'm ecstatic that I got over 200 reads so far! And also if you get the chance my fiance has uploaded a fan fic on here, go read and support him also. @KAFiorentino  :) Thanks so much.