Chapter Two:I Lose My Hearing Thanks to Mrs. Balm

I balance the stupid cake platter on my knee and knock on a door as red as my mother's lipstick. I almost drop the cake when I see the lady that opens it.  Judging by the battered, old, blue pickup truck in the yard I imagine this lady to be very ordinary. Just another woman and her children moving someplace smaller where her husband is away in the military. But, surprisingly, this lady is anything but ordinary.

     I live across the street from what looks to be a movie star. She has long, wavy dark brown hair. Her skin reminds me of the margarine we receive ,instead of butter, before we mix the orangey yellow dye in it to make it look more pleasant. It gorgeous and milky and smooth. She has on a stylish floral print short blue dress and smiling a gentle smile. I decide i'm dreaming and then I snap out of my daze.

     "Hello" She says in a sweet and light voice. She shakes my hand with a warm and soft one. "Hi." I say. I realize I am in that daze again and stand up straight. Her piercing green eyes look straight through me. I decide to start over. "My name is Kate Anderson. I ummm I live across the street and ummm and my...my mothermadeyouthiscakeandwelcometotheneighborhood !" I blurt this last part out loud and fast. She laughs and grabs the cake.  "This looks very delicious. How about you come inside and eat some with us."  I walk in and am abruptly stopped. This is when i realize this lady is different.

     "I am so rude! My name is Lucille Balm and welcome to my home!" I think she's done talking but apparently she is not. "You have to meet the twins!" She laughs like a mad women and exclaims "They are twelve!" "Me Too!" I yell before she starts talking again. Mrs. Balm grins and laughs "Wonderful. Wonderful. MAAAAADY! KYYYYYLE! COOOOOME MEEEEET OUUUUUR NEEEEEW NEEEEIIIIGHBOOOOR!" I wish  I had worn earmuffs.