[03]

September 22nd 2017

She hummed to herself, no tune in particular as she drizzled some syrup in the pan. She made sure it was evenly spread while still thick in texture, just how he liked it. A small pot of chocolate sauce sat on the kitchen island behind, just waiting for the pancakes to be done. She had made chocolate instead of the strawberry that she preferred because he liked the sweetness of the chocolate with his pancakes. She wasn't a huge fan of chocolate, so she would just opt out for some fresh fruit instead.

She didn't mind though. Not if it brought a smile to his face, a light to his eye and filled his hungry stomach. She didn't mind making these little sacrifices for him if it meant that he was happy. She didn't mind because she loved him, unconditionally.

She wouldn't have ever married him if she didn't love him. But she did.

Even when times were tough and the future looked bleak and dull, she still stuck with him; because he was her world, because she couldn't function without him in her life. She would never give up on him because she loved him.

The tick of the oven timer sounded just as the latch on the front door clicked. Just on time, she smiled to herself softly.

This had been his routine for the past year; stay out all night and return early in the morning so that he could take a quick shower, get changed and then grab some breakfast before he headed out to work.

She didn't see much of her husband because he was a busy man; his time was either occupied with his job -him being a banker kept him both busy and tired- or his lover. Not his wife, his lover.

"Good morning," she called out to him from the kitchen as she pulled the blueberry muffins out of the oven. As usual, he didn't reply to her voice, just grunting in reply hoping that she would not bother him further.

As usual, she didn't comment on his rude behaviour and horrible attitude towards her. It didn't bother her that he treated her this way, she was just happy to see his face every day, happy to be able to call herself his wife and be able to love him freely. Even if she did have to share him with a mystery woman.

She presumed that her husband believed she didn't know anything about her affair, but she wasn't stupid, and him of all people should have known that. All the tell-tale signs of an affair were their; him starting to only come home in the early hours of the morning, the sweet scent of the perfume that seemed to always linger on his clothes, a perfume that she did not own, the smudges of lipstick down his neck which he believed that she wouldn't be able to see from under the collar of his untidy work shirt from the previous day.

And finally, there were the text messages and the many phone calls which he made to a lady called 'Jane', a lady whom he had professed his love to many a time, even when he was home with his wife standing under the same roof as he. He didn't realise that the wall between their separate bedrooms were incredibly thin, meaning that she was able to hear pretty much everything that he said or did in his room; and that included the late-night phone calls that he had with his 'Jane' whenever he did decide to sleep in his own bed that night. Now, if he was quiet and spoke to his lover in hushed tones -the same hushed and quiet tones that she would use whenever she would cry herself to sleep every night- she probably wouldn't have been able to hear him, but it seemed that he simply didn't care if his wife overheard him.

She didn't comment on a lot of things that her husband, and there were many more things which she didn't mind and was willing to overlook, but this was something that had bothered her from day one.

His lover.

She remained silent in the kitchen as she washed away all the utensils that she had used to make breakfast. No words slipped past her lips as she sat down at the counter on her designated bar stool, patiently awaiting her husband so that they could have breakfast together.