Chapter 52

My mother's last words still echo in my mind. "Now you can shoot them down."

Before her entourage can respond they are cut down by a hail of crossbow bolts. All of them, including my mother, are left twitching in a heap as the neuro agents on the bolts do their paralyzing work. I turn around, as we pull away from the dock, to find Jack, Izzy, and Fernando holding my Whisper and pistol bows.

Jack grins like a boy. "Borker took a shine to your fancy crossbows, so he moved them to this ship."

Thank you Lieutenant Borker.

The delay, gained by the taking out the Gaia leadership, lasts only ten minutes. Soon, a dozen Gaia airships are in hot pursuit.

Izzy is flying the airship, engines on full power and shark—tail thrashing at maximum, and I am lying on the deck in Jack McGraw's strong arms. He's uses his own belt as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding, then gently wraps my wrecked arm in gauze and bandages.

"It's okay, Nina, my love. I've got you."

I relax into his lean torso, surrendering to his care, as I have longed to do since we left New Frisco such a long time ago. "Thanks for having my back, Jack."

"I thought I'd lost you when Borker shot you."

"He did?"

"He thought we'd lost the ship to the Reavers so shot you between the eyes. I couldn't stop him... I was too far away... I thought you were dead.

Tenderly, I reach up with my good hand and wipe away his tears. I feel tears sting the corner of my eyes too.

"Except, that Trent guy-"

"-The Microtough agent."

"I see. Yes, him. He switched you with the White Woman, dressed her in your clothes, incredibly found a wig that matched you hair, and propped her on a bench. In his haste, Borker didn't realise it wasn't you and that agent covered up really well—he was a good actor.

I run my hand along his strong jaw line.

Jack realises I'm still wearing nothing except bloodied underwear. Gallantly, he removes the tunic of his uniform and lays it over me. "Go find her some warm clothes," he instructs the other Beat.

"Trent was always looking out for me—even when betraying me. And now he's got my lovely airship."

Jack smiles and laughs lightly. "She really was a wreck, Nina, but you did wonders with her."

"She was my first airship. I loved her."

"As I love you, Nina." Jack bends down and kisses me lightly on the forehead.

Everyone is staring at us, except Scud who is looking away in embarrassed confusion. Izzy's and Fernando's mouths hanging open in comic imitation of each other.

"What?" I challenge. "None of you seen two people in love before?"

Izzy closes her mouth. "Not you, Nina, you don't do guys."

"Jack's different." I stare lovingly up at him, a stupid broad smile on my face. It has been so hard not acknowledging Jack over the last few weeks, but necessary, to keep him safe from Borker. Then I notice his nose. I stroke it gently, feeling the lump. "What happened to your nose, Jack?"

"You broke it. You thumped me while stealing your airship."

"Sorry." Guiltily, I recall taking a swipe at Jack while freeing the Shonti Bloom from the New Frisco docks.

"I was determined to stop you going. I knew you'd get into trouble."

"I seem to have a talent for it. And I was equally determined to go."