Chapter 1

Among the great city states in the sky, no guild is more respected than the Aviators' Guild. Those heroes and heroines who tie civilization together; piloting their airships along the bird roads.

In recent history, no pilot is more famous than my mother Eve Swift, aviatrix and one-time mayor of New Frisco. And no mystery so great as her disappearance on an archaeological expedition, leaving me, her daughter, orphaned.

On the day I turn twenty-one, I receive two packages by post: a mysterious brown—paper parcel from my Uncle Felix and a slim envelope from the Aviators' Guild.

Frantically, I tear open the envelope to extract the small card inside. I catch a whiff of fresh ink as I turn the smooth card over and over in my hand. As expected, the card is a license that permits "Nina Swift—Aviatrix" to pilot airships. The first and lowest rung on my piloting career. To me, it is like gold and my heart sings.

I kiss the card in triumph, slot it carefully into the leather wallet provided, and place it in a pocket of my flight jacket. Time to put my long cherished plan into action—today I am going in search of my long lost mother.

Scooping up the paper wrapped package, from the post office counter I toss it carelessly into my shoulder bag, unopened, as I step out into the street. I have work to do. I hoist the bag onto my shoulder and stride down the street to my crucial meeting at the Square Balloon café.

I stop on the way to complete a financial transaction. At twenty-one, the state no longer controls my mother's legacy, so I can spend what is left of her money in any way  I like. And what a magnificent purchase it is—the second stage of my plan.

I stop to examine myself in a shop window: tall, slender, auburn haired. Dressed and booted in my leather flying gear, some would call me striking—I call it angular. I've taken enough care with my appearance today to wow the boys.

When seeking to drive a hard bargain, looks are just another weapon in a girl's armory.

I enter the Square Balloon, a favorite hang—out for us apprentices from the Aviators' Guild. Compared to the bright sunlight outside, the café looks dark and bland. Polished bare boards gleam under my feet and pictures of famous airships, aviators, and aviatrixes line the walls in an attempt to brighten things up. The tangy smell of coffee and sweet smell of chocolate battle each other in the air. I inhale deeply. It's like coming home.

I order my usual: strong coffee, no cream.

Scud and Fernando are already seated around a window table, flight jackets hung on the back of their chairs. They're getting to know each other, though they aren't saying much, which is no surprise. Hot mugs steam in front of them on the scrubbed wooden table. A coffee for Fernando and a hot chocolate for Scud.

Fernando stares unwaveringly at Scud, which causes Scud to look anywhere except directly at Fernando.

I collect my drink, slide in between the boys, and take a deep breath. "Hi, guys." Now for stage three of my plan.

Scud tosses his mop of brown hair out of his eyes and looks past me, "Oh...yes...morning, Nina." Scud never meets anyone's gaze, even mine, his best and oldest friend.

"Fernando, this is Scud. Scud, this is Fernando."

They know of each other, of course. That's why I'm annoyed with Fernando's behavior.

He thrusts his hand straight across the table, smiling radiantly. "Hi, how you doing, mate?"

Scud stares out the window, ignoring him.

Fernando turns his attention to me. "What's this all about, Nina?" Swarthy, full-lipped, and handsome, he has auburn hair like mine. His dark brown eyes are deep watery wells you can just dive into.