Chapter 43

We cross the marketplace. I squat down beside the kid in his doorway and place a coin into his outstretched hand. "Want to earn another one."

The boy looks me up and down, sly calculation in his eyes. "Maybe."

"There are a lot of Science Guild about today. Is there a squadron in?"

The boy nods. "One squadron on shore leave." He holds out a grubby hand for my coin.

I show another coin, but clasp it firmly in my fist again. "What are they doing here?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "Who knows?"

Well, that's a dead end then. I pass him the coin and make to rise.

"There's more." He's got that sly look back in his eyes—he's better at this game than I am.

Survival breeds new skills—I have never been as hungry as he looks so my incentive to learn was less. I let my morals get in the way too much.

"More?" I remain where I am—half standing. He holds out his hand again.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Summer, what's yours?"

I ignore Summer's question. He's cheeky. I don't blame him for trying to get as much money out of me as possible, he's desperate. This game could go on all night—I've got to put a stop to it before I lose all my money. "I'll pay you on the quality of your information."

He stares at me, taking in my looks. Calculating. "How much?"

"One coin for basic information, three for something useful."

"Who decides what's useful?"

"I do. I can always ask someone else..."

"There's a whole Guild fleet hovering over the horizon. Arrived two days ago. They take shore leave one squadron at a time."

This is certainly news. "A fleet? Heading where?"

"There's rumors of a Reaver hive to the North. They been preying on lone shipping."

"And?"

"And the Guild don't seem much interested. All those ships and they're just hanging around."

"And?"

"And I reckon they're looking for someone specific."

"Who?"

Summer stands and holds out his hands. "You owe me three coins."

I push him for the information I need; I know I shouldn't, but I push him anyway. "Who they looking for Summer?"

The kid shrugs. "I don't know." His eyes dart round the market place and he begins to sidle away. I look around too, but all appears quiet.

Izzy taps me on the arm. "Give him his money." There's an edge to her voice and I know she's not just concerned about Summer's welfare. I've known Izzy a long time and I trust her instincts: she's spotted something that I've missed, so I hold out the coins for Summer.

As he reaches for the coins, Izzy snatches his wrist and holds fast. Summer doesn't struggle, but his eyes dart all over the place: me, Izzy, the market, me. "And, if you give us a ten minute head start," Izzy says, "two more coins. Deal?"

"Deal," Summer says without hesitation.

Still not understanding why Izzy is intent on giving all my money away, I pile five coins into the boy's grubby hand. As soon as he has his treasure, Summer scurries away. His family, if he has one, will eat well tonight.