Opened Eyes

Time, a precious commodity that even the rich find hard to get, time moves fast and sometimes in the opposite. Sixteen years flew by me like it's nothing. Everything was average, nothing was ever special. But even average days are said to come to an end someday. Rena is my name. Nothing special, I go by the normal uniform, not too short or too long on the skirt, basically im just average. I am always somewhere in the middle, in classes, or even competition, if even i got picked on one. I spent my holiday doing stuff like sleeping and social media and all those mediocre teenage stuff, but i was always bored, i was somekind of lost from time to time, only 3 days left tell the opening caremony to my first senior high year.

        "Mom, have you prepared my lunch?", i whimpered as i got the sleepy face off my face.

          "Yeah, it's by the dining table", She said,"get your butt moving if you dont wanna be late!"

          I laughed at how she always reminded me of this even though my school is just like, a solid 2 minute walk.

         "I'm off",
     There was no answer, mum usually goes back to bed after making breakfast for the whole family. Meanwhile, my dad probably is still dozing off.

       Having a campus school has its benefit, you already know the area even though it's your first year in a different level. I headed for the hall where the principle would greet and assign the classes.

         I always liked peaceful condition, it's rather calming. Maybe being in an average lifestyle is partly my fault. I'm too lazy to even care about friendship and stuff so i threw it all away. I was assigned to class 1-2, i didnt knew anyone in the class list and headed straight to the classroom.

         *crash*
"What the fu-", i murmured as someone bumped onto me.

         "Ah, hey sorry for that, are you going to class two?"

          Took me a solid second before i saw who bumped into me, a girl. She was quite small, im surprised she is in senior high.

           "Yeah," I replied,

            " I'm Nayla,let's go!", this girl took my hand and i could sense a cheerful aura from this girl, I sat next to her, and became close to her, she's the exact opposite of me that's all gloomy. She always have a way to make friends, but surprisingly she clang onto me most of the time, sometimes i still wonder why.

              I'm grateful of Nayla and all but sometimes it makes me wonder why she would still stick around me even if im not cool and pretty.

            "You dont have to have a reason to be friends with somebody dont you? Still, you're my first friend here after all."

       Was what she said when I asked her about why she would stay stuck with a gloomy fluffball like me.

           I love being with Nayla, she'll look for me on every group projects, it kinda feels nice and warm having someone look out for you.

           We were soon the tightest of friends, we went to watch movies, shopping and going out to places together, Nayla was like the color to my monochrome days, for the first time, i felt what a good friend feels like.

         Despite her awesome looks and stunning figure, she's actually really soft hearted, she cried in almost every sad scene, Heck, she even cried in a scene where a dog finally finds it's lost toy.

          We went to an accessory shop and bought matching pendant necklace,

            "Let's be friends forever, you look out for me and i'll look out for you"

          Tears started to fall without me realizing, never have i once thought someone will look out for me this way.

       "Aaaah! Dont cry, did i say something wrong?"

         "I-idiot",i said while wiping my tears away.

       Days passed by and soon even months.      

I was eating lunch at class. Nayla came rushing off to me with a petrified face.

           " Rena, help me"

           I rose my eyebrows, what does this almost perfect but short girl needs help from an average goofy girl like me.

             " I THINK I HAVE A CRUSH ON THE GUY NEXT DOOR", she breathed, "HE'S SOOOOOO CUTE OH MY GOSHH!"

            " Yeah, good for you then."

        She held my hands, "help me!"

         "Sure...?" I said. I guess even perfect girls needs help in their love life.

          " What do you need help with La?", still curious with her sudden action.

             "Hot. Guy. Next. Door. Introduce. Me."

           It was the first time i saw her this flustered.

            "Let's go, where is he?"

I followed her while sneaking to class 1-1, she then stopped and pointed at the boy near the whiteboard.

         "Hey, pretty guy, my friend has a crush on you, come out here!"

            He turned his face and holy crap, i couldve died at that same moment, if Nayla was the perfect girl, this boy was the guy version of it.

         One word, gorgeous. Then there's this feeling, my heart started to race. I hid behind the locker outside the class while the boy approached me and Nayla. Nayla who was flustered stared at me in shock and confusion. I overheard the guy talking to Nayla and thought about the potential problems i might've encountered, a crush on my friend's crush? But somehow, it made me feel.... Alive.

         That day, I didnt know how to feel. Nayla was all about the boy, Ken. Which she told me all about.

          After school, Nayla took my hand and stared me in the eyes. Terror struck me, did she find out? I could die, she's my only friend, i dont wanna lose her now, perhaps i should just give up, Nayla means alot more anyway.

Then she said,"help me out on this one, promise me okay?"

            I sighed fumes of relief, and spontaneously said yes. What am i gonna do when it have come to this.

                  Chapter 1 end