Hannah's Self-Control

Hannah searched through her drawer filled with brightly colored socks, findings tons of lonely socks. She tossed them out of the drawer which she had neatly organized a week ago.
A week ago they moved into Nero's family house. It was big, spacious and felt like home the minute they settled in.
Nero was seated on the edge of the bed, cuddling with their little princess. She was so much more aware these days and they loved every second of it. Nero talked a lot to her and the little princess was always paying attention to her daddy's face, taking it all in.
Huffing once more Hannah searched through the mess she made for a pair of turquoise colored socks. Behind her Nero snickered, finding it amusing to see her out of sorts like that.

"They'll pop again, that's what happens with socks."

"I mean I have nothing against wearing mismatched socks, I'm all for it." Hannah frowned as she slipped a pair of lime colored socks on. It wasn't the same as her turquoise socks, but they had to do, "But how does that happen? Most of my socks are no longer a pair, is it a sign?"

"Don't even go there." Nero warned her, all humor completely gone from his voice.

Letting out another tired sigh Hannah tossed all her socks back in their drawer, not even bothering to organize them like she had done when they moved into the family house.
She got to her feet and turned to see father and daughter staring at each other with smiles upon their faces.

"Are you two sharing secrets now?" She asked, approaching her little family with a bright smile spread across her face, the annoyance of her missing socks forgotten, "I should feed her." Hannah had a slow morning and Emilia somehow didn't make a fuss even though it was past her feeding time, "And you should get dinner ready." She told Nero who raised an eyebrow at her, "Mom and Rebecca will be here in about an hour or so." She reminded him.

"Are you giving me orders now?" He asked, his eyes gleaming playfully as he carefully handed Emilia to her, "Just for that I'm not making you a tuna pineapple pizza."

"Come on." She tried to persuade him with her cutesy voice, but she could tell it wasn't working, "You know you love me."

Nero chuckled, "So rather than using words and romantic gestures I should just bake you a weird pizza to show you how much I actually care about you?" He asked her, "I mean I was planning a date night by the end of the month, candle lit dinner and all. But I guess we don't need that."

"We don't." Hannah smiled at him, "I rather eat the food you make. I told you so many times before, you've got mad kitchen skills."

He shook his head at her, stepping closer to her to kiss her head, "I'm getting dinner ready." He told her, leaving her to feed Emilia and getting her ready for bed.

***

Rebecca took a bite from the mushroom chicken casserole Nero had made, her eyes widening in surprise. Hannah smiled, she had been that surprised as well when she first tried something Nero had made. It didn't fit his character. He appeared to be an intimidating business man, who almost seemed unapproachable. Yet when he was with his family his icy cold stare melted and he became a different person. Someone who smiled often and made jokes, someone who watched over his loved ones and made sure they were safe and protected. She almost lost that, if they didn't have Emilia they wouldn't be sitting at the dining table in his family house having dinner with their family.
Just that thought made her want to burst out in tears. She made sure she didn't though, it would ruin their quiet night in. Instead she leaned toward her husband and kissed his cheek without warning. He tensed up when she suddenly did that, he tilted his head to the side to look at her. When he met her gaze she smiled and leaned in again, kissing him quick yet gently against the lips.