~26~Ambivalence

Blind and ambiguous, all part of the game
I've feigned my ambivalence with a smile
All my hate beneath me forms a cage

~Nevermore "Ambivalence"    

 The hot afternoon air blew mildly above the horizon. It was a gloomy day and everyone was well aware of that fact. Alicia sluggishly walked out of school as the final bell rang. Who would have thought that after all that she had experienced over the weekend she would still have the guts to come back to school.    

  Today she wasn't the usually classy and bold Maya Fox, she simply looked like a hobo. Her baggy sweatpants and hoodie said it all. And her messily knotted hair highlighted the fact that she would kill anyone who dared to speak to her. After she was hit with flashes of what happened the night she died, she screamed, bawled, and cried like a child whose toy had been snatched away until Ana Perla barged in to help soothe her. 

   Alicia was pretty sure Ana Perla wasn't the only one she had woken up in the entire vicinity, but nothing mattered then. Finding out that someone you loved, might or might not have killed you, surpassed all her worries. She didn't sleep a wink, even as Ana Perla held her tightly and whispered soothing words into her ears.

  Alicia did not speak that night, she remained stuck in her daze till the next day, when she was hit with the final blow and full out sobbed as she told Ana Perla bits of what happened the night she died. Ana Perla was speechless for a while but easily broke out of her muteness and convinced Alicia to look into the matter before she made any rash decision. Just this once Alicia decided to listen to her because some part of her really wished Zach hadn't done something that terrible to her. Like Ana Perla had said, she was going to look into the matter before she was forced to kill Zach.   

  Alicia couldn't help feeling frazzled when she noted how this particular walk to the car park was taking so long. She winced as the oblique sun rays hit her, pulling her hoodie over her head, she started a brisk walk in search of Philippe. Her eyes narrowed into angry slits when they saw someone instead. "I told you to stop following me," she glowered.   

"I'm not following you. I just need to talk to you." Zach said frustratedly. He combed his hands through his flaxen hair and looked at her intently.

Alicia sneered and continued walking, "And I don't want to talk to you. Why are you bent on talking to me when you don't even know who I am,"

"I know who you are," Alicia's eyes nearly popped out of their holding. She stopped walking causing Zach to almost topple her over.

"You know who I am?" Alicia asked, surprise overtaking her anger.

Zach groped for words, "Yes." he paused, "We met at the ball remember?"

Alicia breathed in relief and resumed walking, "That gives you no right to follow me around. Just stay the hell away from me." she shouted.

Zach took a step back, lifting his hands in exasperation, he said, "I'm not foll—You know what, suit yourself I'm out of here."

"No one invited you here in the first place. Next time you follow me or try to talk to me, you will not like what I'm going to do to you." Alicia threatened. "Take me out of here Philippe." She said when she Philippe hovering around their usual spot.

Philippe didn't need to ask why she was in a bad mood. The look on Zach's face made him think he had probably interrupted a couple fight. He opened the door for the young miss and run to open his. He quickly sped off, but kept stealing glances at the review mirror when he noticed the pretty boy still standing there even as distance stretched them like a long elastic.