Hardest Part pt. 2

"Miss Helena, you're going to have to leave the room." The gentle voice of a nurse woke Helena from her slumber, cold sweat and tears now dry on her cheeks.

"Uhh? Oh-- OH! The operation..." Helena blinked, getting up droggily. Cancer had to get an important operation that night and this could mean the stop to this plague that haunted him since he was very little.

But yet, this operation was very risky. But Helena knew Cancer would pull through. He always did.

Helena glanced down at Cancer, who was seemingly sound asleep and unaware that he was going to get operated on soon.

A bit of uncertaincy lingered in Helena and she looked back up at the nurse "Can i be with him for a few moments longer?" she asked weakly.

The nurse, with a smile, nodded and left the room.

"Oh Cancer..." Helena whispered, kneeling down to his height, stroking his blonde hair gently "This operation is it! I know you'll pull through, and then there'll be no more tumor!" A smile came to the young girls face, slowly running her fingers down to his cheek "I know you can't hear me.... but i love you, Cancer. And once this is done, i'll tell you then! And then -- we'll be together!"

A silence then misted the poorly lit room besides the rythmic beeping of the heart moniter on the opposite side of the room.

The moon peaked through the window and the light gimmered below on the two teenagers. A golden gleam flashing in Helena's eyes and she saw the necklace she had given Cancer when she was about 12. It was a charm with a dove on it.

A cymbol of hope.

Helena got to her feet gingerly and took her hand away from his pale weakened face and left the room.

_______________________________________

"Excuse me, miss."

Helena glanced up from a magazine on a wooden table in the waiting room she had been in an hour after being sent out of Cancer's room and glared at the girl whom had spoken and broken her trace of thought.

The girl was rather pretty with pink cheeks, emerald green eyes and silvery blonde long hair that reached to her sholders. She was in a wheelchair and her lips were pulled into a whide rosey smile.

"I've seen you around here alot, are you a patient?" The girl asked innocently. Helena could see that the girl ment no harm, merely curious -- thought her voice merely annoyed her enough. Everything about the girl annoyed her.

"No, i come here for my friend." Helena retorted, letting her fingers tighten on the grip on the magazine and crinkle the page.

"My name is Venom!" The girl continued as if oblivous to Helena's harsh actions "I am a patient here. My parents got in an accident and they passed away in it -- and i am paralyzed from the knees down."

"Helena..." Helena responded icely, burrying her face back into the magazine.

"So, who is your friend? He must be very hurting seeming i see you here all the time. It's almost like you live here!" Venom said, her voice becoming all-knowing.

"He has cancer." Helena said, her eyes narrowing "And i've known him since i was 3. I would never leave his side."

"Oh... what's his name?"

"Cancer."

"No, his name."

"Cancer! His name is Cancer!" Helena snarled, throwing the magazine on her lap.

"Oh. How different. Named after the deseace he suffers from." Venom began to chew on her chapped lips absently "Well, i hope he gets better, and i hope i can run into you another time!"

Helena tracked Venom as she wheeled out of the waiting room, whistling down the halls.

Sighing, Helena closed her eyes. She spent the night hoping and praying everything would be fine.

But of corse it would be.

It had to be...

________________________________________

When Helena had awoken the next morning, her throat was scourging with pain and her mouth was unusually dry.

Helena rubbed her neck and got to her feet, making her way down the hall to get to Cancer's room.

About half way down, Helena ran into a nurse, tears leaking from her eyes and her eyes a bright red.

"Excuse me, ma'me, i need to get to Cancer." Helena said shortly, not very enthused to try and cheer up the pathetic woman. Helena never took much pitty on most people.

"Oh.... Ohhh no. You can't. He's gone." The nurse said, her nose running slightly to Helena's disgust.

Helena kept her patience and pressed on "So he left to go home already?"

"No... No not at all...." The nurse said in-between sobs.

"Then where the frick is he?!" Helena said, her voice rising in anger. She had no time to play charades with this dope.

"He..... he didin't make it through the surgery, Helena. He's dead."

Those words froze everything for Helena.

".....No. No. You're lying." Helena said finally, anger boiling inside her "You freakin' nurses are playing a dumbass joke on me! WHERE ARE YOU HIDING HIM???"

"Helena....no...!" The nurse tried to grab Helena as she bolted to the door for his room, but failed.

Helena broke through the silenced room and looked over at the bed.

There lied Cancer. His face much paler than usual, and the moniter was un-plugged -- the cord lying innocently on the floor.

Cancer was still and un-moving -- his eyes closed.

"Damn.... DAMN IT!!!" Helena shrieked, falling to her knees beside the bed, burrying her face into the sheets on the bed.

Now turn away,

'Cause I'm awful just to see

'Cause all my hairs abandoned all my body,

Oh, my agony,

Know that I will never marry,

And baby, I'm just soggy from the chemo,

We're counting down the days to go

It just ain't living

And I just hope you know

That if you say

Goodbye tonight

I'll ask you to be true

'Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you