Chapter XII

Chapter XII

Eowyn and I stood back with the rest of the court as the Fellowship entered the room. I pulled my cloak's hood over my face, and narrowed my eyes beneath its shadow. Aragorn, Mireclya, Gimli, and Legolas were following Gandalf past the watching court - where were the Hobbits, and where was Boromir?

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessend of late, Theoden-King," Gandalf said with a firm undertone to his otherwise friendly voice. I smiled just upon seeing him healthy again.

Theoden coughed as Saruman spoke through him. "Why should I... welcome you... Gandalf Stormcrow...?" He wheezed.

Gandalf looked around the room, evidently noticing that Grima was missing. I stood up a little straighter as his eyes passed over Eowyn and I, and he understood.

Gandalf raised his staff and began walking towards the King. A small yet blinding prick of white light burned from the staff, aimed at the throne. At this, the guards raced for the wizard, but the Fellowship held them off. Many went for Mira first, thinking her weak, but they were in for a surprise. Gimli, too, was holding his own, and there was no need to worry for Aragorn and Legolas.

I looked back at Eowyn, who was staring intently at the wizard who was approaching her uncle with a seemingly threatening posture, his staff held over his head. She looked worried. I gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "Worry not. He may appear to be hurting your uncle, but he is merely driving away the shadow in his mind."

Eowyn nodded reluctantly.

"Hearken to me! I release you from the spell." Gandalf, I noticed, had not dropped his grey cloak, and I knew what was going to happen before it did.

There was a pause, and then Theoden let out a wheezy laugh, a horrible, croaky sound. "You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey," Saruman hissed through the mouth of the King.

Gandalf's eyes narrowed and he threw off his grey cloak, blinding Theoden. He then aimed the very tip of the staff between the eyes of the King. "I will draw you, Saruman," Gandalf spat, "as poison is drawn from a wound." The wizard approached the throne as Theoden was thrown against its back from the power of Gandalf's staff.

Eowyn made to move forward, glaring at me as though I had lied, but I threw my arm out in front of her. "You must wait, Eowyn," I breathed. "It'll be alright."

I saw Aragorn's eyes shift towards the movement, and he narrowed his eyes at me. I turned my head slightly towards him, but made no move towards him.

"If I go," Theoden rasped, now completely in Saruman's voice, "Theoden dies."

"You did not kill me, you will not kill him!" Gandalf said sharply, thrusting again with the staff.

"Rohan is mine!" Saruman roared.

"Be gone!" Gandalf snapped back just as quickly, making one final push with the staff. There was a blinding flash of white light as Theoden was pushed back against the throne. He then groaned and slumped forward; Gandalf turned to me and nodded slightly as he stepped back, and I released Eowyn. She ran towards her uncle and helped him stand as he seemed to age backward before our very eyes. He now resembled a middle-aged, healthy, strong leader as he stood up, grasping Eowyn's arm.

I did my best not to listen to their private moment, but it was hard not to care for my friend after all her worries about her uncle.

"I know your face..." Theoden murmured to her. "Eowyn..."

Eowyn grinned and tears slid down her face.

Theoden then turned in wonder towards Gandalf, who had donned his grey cloak again. "Gandalf?" Theoden said.