Chapter IV

Chapter IV
Aragorn

I turned to the four Hobbits sitting nervously in the corner, watching Oreldes's disappearing figure with wonder. "She's an elf!" Merry realized quietly.

"Yes, and you owe her your thanks," Mireclya said shortly. "Had she not come, the Nazgûl would have stayed much longer than they already did."

I held out a hand to Mireclya to calm her and told the Hobbits, "She will be a part of our company until we reach Rivendell. She has gone ahead to scout for danger and we will meet her along the way. Until then, we will ride behind her."

Mira and I helped the Hobbits mount Berenor and Faervel and we mounted in front of them. Sam rode Bill, the pony we'd bought in Bree, and Merry and Pippin rode behind me. Mireclya held Frodo's cold body in her arms, not bothering to use her hands to hold onto Faervel's mane but instead shifting her weight so that she was even on the gelding's back.

I nudged Berenor forward, remembering Oreldes's teachings from so long ago. Sixty-two years ago, I thought to myself as we galloped away from the watchtower.
-
At the end of the first day, we still rode towards Rivendell, still not encountering Oreldes on the way.

"Where's Oreldes?" Pippin whispered from somewhere behind me.

"Doing her job," I responded calmly, and wove around a tree. Despite my answer, I couldn't help but worry about my former mentor.
-
Oreldes

Five wraiths were on my tail; I could hear their horses' hoofbeats. I pushed Thangûrel forward even more, and she lowered her neck, lengthening her stride to match my needs.

The river was only a few lengths away. If I could get the city to protect the pathway, Aragorn and Mireclya would have a safer ride towards Imladris, but they wouldn't meet me.

It was the best option out of the two that I'd come up with while urging Thangûrel forward.

And I didn't want to fight all five of them at once.

I raced through the short pathway that led to the river and wove around trees to throw the wraiths off. I strained my ears over the noise of Thangûrel's hoofbeats and pants and heard the slight rush of the river. We were getting closer.

Not close enough.

I turned my head and saw the wraiths advancing behind me. I gasped and turned back forwards, weaving around trees that the big, bulky racehorses of the wraiths wouldn't be able to manuevor. Thangûrel tossed her head and sprinted harder, sensing the safety of her city. We raced across the river and onto the pebble beach on the other side. It was not unlike the beach my friends and I had sat upon while pondering the darkness of the east - darkness that was now following me.

"You know why I am here," I called to them, drawing my sword. "If you want to kill me, come do so now."

The wraiths began to advance cautiously, their horses snorting at the touch of the purity of the water.

"Nîn o Chithaeglir
lasto beth daer;
Rimmo nîn Bruinen
dan in Ulaer!" I murmured to the river. I backed Thangûrel up as the river washed over the wraiths, pushing them downstream until they could get up and called back by the Dark Lord.

I sighed in relief, and as I did, Thangûrel turned around and stepped into Imladris. I led her up the path of Rivendell and into the stables, where I gave her a hard grooming and murmured strings of Elvish to her as she ate her share of the oats in her stall.

When I left, I went straight to Elrond's chambers. He would want to know what happened and why I wasn't here with the rest of them.
-
Aragorn