chapter 9

The next days just passed by me, the realization just hit me that it’s Friday afternoon. Meaning I don’t have work or uni tomorrow. Meaning I can have a nice little chick-flick watching night in, just me and a bowl of popcorn. Ok, I might call Julie see if she’s free. We could watch The Lake House. I know she loves that one. I should fill the fridge up though.

As I was pondering over which frozen meal to choose, suddenly a voice called my name. I spun around only to see one of my professors standing there.

-Oh, hello Sir!

- Oh are you buying that stuff because I make you study too much? – he asked worriedly.

-Ehm, no, not at all. I just happen to like it, despite knowing it’s not healthy- I smiled, embarrassed.

- And here I was thinking you have to be up all weekend because of my stupid test – he said with a kind expression. – Have a good weekend then, see you Monday.

-Yeah, see you professor- Oh SHIT! How is it possible that I forgot? THE test! He might act all nice and kind and everything but I know that test is way much harder than it should be. So much for asking Julie over.

An hour later I was sitting at my desk, my notebook laying open in front of me. I pulled one leg up. I put it back down. Tried with the other one. I read half a page. The leg started to go dead so I put it back down. I pulled my legs underneath the chair. Then stretched them out under the desk. I finished the first page. I wasn’t comfortable at all. One cannot study when she’s not comfy, right? Maybe I should sit on the bed. So I did. I started the 2nd page. Halfway in it, there was something I wasn’t sure about, so I needed my notebook from last semester to check it. I didn’t exactly remember where to find what I was looking for. And so a few minutes later the whole of my king size bed was covered in sheets of papers and notebooks. Finally, I found it, tried to memorize, then continued with my notes.

 5 minutes passed, I became thirsty, so I went to the kitchen to grab some water. There was a huge pile of used dishes on the counter. I should do something about that. So I did the washing up.  Cleaned the counter too. And the dining table. And the sink.  And mopped up. Now what do I do? Oh yes, I have to study!

Sitting on the bed again, I got through one more page. I got hungry then. Surely, you can’t do any work with an empty stomach. I went back to the kitchen, made myself a sandwich and sat down at the dining table. My phone went beeped. I bet it’s Julie.

I picked up the phone, but instead of Julie, it said “Weirdo/Dan”.

 Hey, so u said this week would be ok to meet. R u free tonight? xx

I was hoping he forgot already. Also, I told him maybe. Not yes. Anyways, I have to study. This test is like 40% of my grade.

 Sorry, have to study, big test on Monday.

 I hit send. Poor guy though, hope he has a plan B for the night.

 Shame, I even made reservations.

What? You have got to be kidding me! Who does that? I knew it already that there was something off about the guy, but now I don’t even know what to think anymore. I wonder what kind of reservation he made though. Might be someplace fancy. No, Lindsey, you have a lot to study. Although, it is only Friday night, there’s still the whole of Saturday and Sunday ahead of me. But if you go out you won’t get up in time tomorrow morning. I could set multiple alarms. You don’t even remember the guys face for God’s sake! But he probably wasn’t ugly if I slept with him.

 Maybe I can free myself for a few hours.

Sent. I have to admit, I would much rather go out with a stranger than clean all my house. And I would probably do that if I stayed home. Anything to save my from the notes.

 Really? That would be wicked! Pick u up in an hour? Just tell me where.

I sent my address. Only after doing so did I realize that maybe it wasn’t such a bold move. What if the guy is some creep and will stalk me forever? I can’t move house. My sister might not ask for a rent but surely everybody else would. And then I’d have to rent a room in one of those houses where you have 5 or 6 flatmates. Please, weirdo, please don’t be a stalker!

Omg, did he say in an hour? I have to go have a shower, wash my hair, do my nails, my makeup, find something to wear! I don’t even know where he’s taking me. Do I put on a dress and heels? Do I go in jeans and trainers? I should have asked. Lucky I cleaned up the house a bit, at least I can let him in in case I’m not ready by the time he gets here. What am I saying? There’s no inviting anyone in.

50 minutes later, surprising myself the most, I was stood in front of the mirror, almost ready to go. I just couldn’t decide on the shoes. There was a ding from the doorbell. Guess I’ll go with the flats then, no time to change again. I grabbed my purse and blazer and rushed to the door.

- Hi- So this is the guy. What’s up with his hair?

- Sorry, I didn’t bring any fluffy baby animals with me – the weirdo said, with a smile. What is he talking about? I caught myself staring at his hair, so I quickly turned around and locked the door.

- Why would you? – I still didn’t get why he just told me that.

- Ehm, last time you looked at my hair like that, that was what you wanted... – I had a very puzzled expression I’m sure- Oh, do you not remember?

- Ehm, no, not really, must have had a bit too much to drink – how come he remembers and I don’t? That’s totally unfair, who knows what I told him...  I am so stupid for doing this, why couldn’t I just stay in with my notes? Somehow I found myself sitting in his car. I guess I got a bit carried away.

- So where are we going?

- I know this Mexican restaurant, it has a really cool design and the food is awesome- he was full of excitement, it  seemed... unfortunately, I was feeling the exact opposite. I hate Mexican food... wouldn’t want to seem like some spoilt little bitch, so I’ll have to pretend otherwise.

- Sounds great! – I think I’m such a master of fake smiles that I could probably do a lecture on it or something. This thought actually made me smile.