Chapter 20 - Attack

------------

Bella POV

------------- 

I'm not going to sugar coat it and say learning to fight with Emmett was a 'Challenge' because it was freaking hard. I was good at it now, almost 5 weeks after. Good meaning that I could beat Emmett every now and then. The first time I lasted approximately 3 seconds before being slammed to the ground. After around 50 repeats, I got frustrated and accidentally shocked him with my shield. Emmett was an excellent fighter, but Jasper was a different story all together. It was almost impossible to beat him. Of course I had a huge advantage over them with my shields, but first I wanted to learn actual combat. I was fine now, I was happy with the results of the training and since the Easter break is nearing the lessons have lessened. 

My relationship with Edward was perfectly fine, in fact I don't think I've ever been happier. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to remember that this is true, I do have a wonderful boyfriend. The Cullens are amazing, and it feels like I've been with them for forever, none of them treat me like a newcomer, they treat me as..family. It's amazing, and I felt delighted. They only downside was that I was also a little worried that it could end. I mean, no happiness is eternal right? I don't mean Edward and I but I feel like something is going to happen soon. The vampire hasn't made an appearance since, and hopefully they've gone for good. 

It was the last couple of days before the Easter break and I was waiting in class for the teacher to enter. Zoe was talking about her magical relationship with the wolf. I listened to all the stories about their dates and other moments. It was cute how fond of each other they were. Whenever she mentioned him though, I couldn't help put picture the sour faced angry mutt in my mind. I didn't comment though. She was too head over heels to hear anything negative about him. I wondered if she knew he was a wolf. I doubted it. 

The two weeks we had for Easter break began and during the middle of the first week, my suspicions about something bad happening came true. 

I was at my house, having a shower and changing my clothes before I went back to the Cullens. Everything was normal. I was taking my time through the forest, walking at a steady pace. It was a normal day in forks, a little windy and cold to a human. The wind was blowing back my hair gently. I took a breath, and that was when I smelt it. The scent of vampires mixed with something much, much better. Blood. Without thinking, I ran to the smell, not out of instinct, but to observe what had happened. As I got closer, a very small house came into view. It was a bit larger than a cottage but it had one floor. The scent of vampires was strong, and I knew it was more than one. But the blood.. was so..different...so good. From the outside, the house looked perfectly normal, but inside, there was no sounds, apart from two heartbeats. One of the heartbeats were slowing and I knocked on the door to confirm what had happened. The slow heartbeat stuttered then stopped fully. Whoever was in the house had died. The other heartbeat was racing and there was a faint smell of something....sour. 

Suddenly, a shrill scream shattered the silence. It was full of pain and more followed. I gave up on knocking and pushed hard on the door, only to find that it was unlocked. The image in front of me shocked me. I looked down at the still figure of Riley, his skin pale white...and he looked..drained. Zoe had a look of pure terror and agony on her face before another scream escaped her lips. I rushed forward and put my hands on her shoulder in an attempt to calm her a little. The screams didn't quieten. There was barely any room in the tiny hall in the small house, so I instantly picked up the both of them and rushed them outside. I lay Riley gently on the ground and propped Zoe against the side of the house. She kept screeching and I tried to lock her arms in my grip so she could be still. Each scream was filled with immense agony and I could remember the feeling clearly