07 :: It Pays to Know

CHAPTER 7: It Pays to Know

"What do you know about Kaye Montgomery?!" Louie grilled Sage while practically blinding her with a desk lamp in dressing room.

He's turning this into one of those police interrogation things.

"You won't get anything from me!" Sage exclaimed in an overly dramatic tone. Now, I get how she got a part at a local play. Girl's great at impromptu!

She's actually going along with Louie's bullshit?

"Stop it," I told both of them. I was leaning on the door frame, watching how silly Louie was grilling Sage, who was still in her costume – blue shirt, pink jogger pants, white kicks, and a snapback that she got on backwards on top of a brown wig. The scene actually looked like a crossover of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Step Up 2.

"Okay. What do you need?" Sage asked.

"Do you know Kaye Montgomery?" Louie asked her.

She nodded. "Of course," she snorted as if the question was stupid.

"But do you know a lot about her?" I queried, quirking a brow.

She nodded again. "I'm a gossip writer in our school paper. It's my job to know a lot about my schoolmates."

Louie had this amused reaction as he sat next to Sage. He draped his arm over Sage's shoulder and a smirk crept up his lips. "Really? Do you know a lot about me?"

I rolled my eyes.

Really? And he calls me the slut.

Sage responded by picking his arm off her shoulder and said, "I know that you put super glue on your hand once and got it stuck to your crotch the whole day."

I doubled over laughing. That happened back in junior year, when he lost a bet with me. "Man, that was the stupidest thing you've done in your entire life!" I wheezed out in between laughter.

"Not as stupid as what you did to Emma Grange," he said. Ooh, that sly asshole.  His retort had sobered me up, and got Sage curious at the same time.

"What happened to Emma?" she questioned.

"Alright. Alright. Can we go back to Trevor's issue now?" I quickly changed the topic.

Sage softly threw her hands up with a shrug.

I exhaled. "Do you happen to know who took Kaye's virginity?"

"What?!" she exclaimed. "That's not something that I can actually tell you guys."

"Why not?" Louie and I asked at the same time.

"Because of this thing called the girl code?" she answered. "Look, I can tell you anything but nothing too private. I mean, come on! I have principles."

Louie and I exchanged gazes. "Okay," I said.

"But!" Sage chirped, a mischievous grin creeping up her lips. "You're gonna have to pay for every question."

"What?"

"3 bucks per answer," she said, crossing her arms over her chest. Yep, principles. 

Both Louie and I scoffed. "You can't be serious," we said at the same time. Louie and I were so in sync that we tend to be synchronized even in the stuff we said.

"It pays to know, Jettison," Sage replied. "Now, do we have a deal or are you just wasting my time?"

"This is ridiculous!" Louie exclaimed.