Falling in love

As we walk, I gain sight of the cafeteria and begin walking there. But Luke stops me.

"Uh uh, not there," he says. Confused, I turn around and follow him out the back of the school. We come to a sort of abandoned lot behind the field where there are 2 other guys and 2 girls sitting on the cement.

"Ayyy Luke. How's your summer been," one guy asks. He has dark brown hair that you could barely see under a black beanie. Luke walks up to him and gives him a handshake.

"It was aight Mark. You know how it is," he replies.

Luke then points at me and says, "this is Ashley. She's new." All the guys and one of the girls give me a smile, but the other sort of scowls at me.

Geez. What did I do.

"Hey guys. I'm new, as Luke says," I say awkwardly, "so what are your names?"

Mark introduces himself again, and I learn that the other guy's name is Dustin. The nice looking girl says her name is Tiffany, and I see that she's probably the most beautiful girl I've seen- she's all I've ever wanted to be. But then I remind myself that I'm a different person now, and they don't see the fat me anymore. The mean one says curtly that her name is Christine.

"Come on, Christine. What's with the long face?" Luke teases and leans over and gives her a kiss. Oh. So he's dating her. Now it makes sense why she's kind of being a bitch. Christine flips him off and gives a sort of sarcastic smile as he sits next to her and puts his arm around her. I awkwardly look away and sit down beside them.

"So where you from, Ashley," Mark asks.

"I'm from Florida. I just moved in the summer," I reply.

"Any reason?" He asks.

"Um. No not particularly. Just family stuff I guess," I say. Which isn't wrong. I just couldn't tell them I live with THE Jenna Parkers. Or that I was made fun of for being fat.

"So how's your first day at Beverly?" Christine asks with a sarcastic undertone. Man, I've never seen someone so sarcastic.

"It's um, pretty good I guess," I say. Except for the fact that I had just met Logan Lerman, the love of my life.

The group talks for a bit longer, and soon the bell rings.

Luke stands up and says, "alright buds. Anyone up for ditching Jameson's ass? I don't think any of us need to know how hydrogen bonds to oxygen."

The group gives a small laugh and there are murmurs of "cool" and "I'm down."

Luke looks to me and asks, "Are you up?"

This is my first day of school. Do I want to be ditching school? But as I look to my new friends, I realize that this has never happened to me. I've never had friends who have wanted me to hang with them. They look to me waiting to hear my answer, and I have no choice but to nod and follow them wherever they're going.

----------------------------------------------

We end up at some skate park and just hang. I learned that Tiffany was really nice, and we talked on a bench as the guys and Christine skated.

"Yeah, I don't know. He just doesn't seem to be really into me," Tiffany says.

"I mean, if I were half as pretty as you are I would think any guy would be in love haha," I reply. She was talking about Mark. She told me they had been in a thing during the summer but now that school started, she didn't know if it was gonna become an actual thing or just a summer thing.