Chapter Eight

I awoke, pain free, to a warm chest. I snuggled into it, glad for Ryder to be here.

“Morning.” I mumbled with my eyes still closed. I kissed his neck lightly and a groan escaped his mouth, a groan I realized a second later didn’t belong to Ryder. I pushed away from the chest in alarm and fell from the bed. A low chuckle resonated from him and I glared up at James who was now leaning over the bed to look at me.

“Morning to you too.”

“What are you doing in my bed?” I hissed. “And why aren’t you wearing clothes?”

“Relax, I’ve got shorts on, it’s just more comfortable to sleep without them on and you asked for me to be here.”

“No I didn’t.” I denied.

“Actually you did, seeing as I was the only one who was able to stop the pain you were in.” He said with a smirk.

“I don’t care you shouldn’t be here so get out.” I said. He simply crossed his arms behind his head and shook it no.

“Nah, I’m pretty comfortable here.” He said. I glared at him before letting out a frustrated sigh.

“Fine, if you won’t I will.” I said and crossed to the door.

“Fine.” James said, that infuriating smirk still on his face. I rolled my eyes at his stubbornness and proceeded into the hall.

I got down the first three steps before the painful pricks from last night came on like a wave through my skin, forcing me to the ground as I cried out in pain. It was only for a few seconds before the pain subsided again. When I looked up James was hovering over me, both concern and amusement in his eyes. He held out his hand to me but I ignored it, getting up on my own.

“What just happened?” I asked but before James could answer mom’s voice touched my ears.

“Braize? Was that you?”

“Yeah mom.” I called back down, making my way down the stairs with James close behind.

“Oh good. I was getting concerned. Are you hungry?”

“Sure mom. What’s going on?” I asked “Why is James here exactly?”

“I don’t know. Whatever happened between you and James at that party last night triggered something and now you can’t be more than fifteen feet away from him at a time. What happened Braize?”

I looked to James before answering mom. “You didn’t tell them?” I asked and he shook his head. “Why not?”

“It’s your secret as much as mine.” He said, I nodded and turned back to mom.

“I have to talk to Ryder first but I promise I’ll tell you as soon as figure it out.” I said and got up, beckoning for James to follow me. “The kiss?” I asked when we were out the front door.

“Yes. Your wolf recognized it’s true mate because of it.”

“What?” I asked confused. “My wolf?”

“Yes, your wolf. Even in your human form our wolfs are always within us, yours just came to life for the first time yesterday. You’ve always had one you just need practice to let it out.”

“You’re kidding me right?” I asked, not wanting to believe it.

“Not at all.” He said. I sighed and began walking toward Ryder’s house. I didn’t want James in on this conversation but apparently he had to be.

“Is there any way to break this connection?” I asked. I chanced a look at James and saw his same expressionless face but I knew he was upset.

“Not that I know of.” He said and I sighed.