Chapter Two

Ryder was nervous as he followed James and Rick, the Alpha, towards the pack house. Braize had disappeared inside just a few moments ago before Rick decided to move this discussion up to his office. A discussion with even just James around was tense let alone the Alpha and his son. James was smirking the entire walk there and Ryder wanted to wipe it off in a not-so-nice way.

“Take a seat Ryder, you too James.” Rick said. Ryder sat with his back straight and his hands folded while James just slumped in his seat, the smirk still present on his face. “I don’t like it when two of my wolves fight, especially two as important as you. Now I want this settled as quickly as possible without too much problem so how are we going to settle this?”

“I’m nearing twenty dad. You know I need a Luna soon and I think Braize would be perfect for that.”

“You can have any girl you want so why do you want Braize? Was taking Julie not good enough or do you just enjoy making my life miserable?” Ryder snapped.

“I’m being serious this time. Every childhood story about soul mates came true within a matter of seconds when I saw her.”

“That’s impossible. Every childhood story has been with two wolves, never a wolf and a human.”

“Who’s the human?” James asked.

“Braize you idiot.” Ryder snapped.

“Ryder, calm down.” Rick ordered and he took a few deep breaths. “Braize is not a human.” He said and Ryder snapped his head towards him.

“Of course she is. She would have turned at sixteen and there’s absolutely no history of a wolf gene in her family.”

“Well I guess your tiny nose can’t smell her scent but we both can. She’s obviously a wolf but as to why she didn’t turn at sixteen we don’t know.”

“I’m the best damn tracker you have so don’t be telling me I can’t smell it.” Ryder growled.

“It’s true Ryder.” Rick said. “We’ll have to look more into it but it is true. Now as for Braize, I say we let her decide.”

“That’s not fair dad, he’s her best friend, she’ll obviously choose him.” James protested being the spoiled child he is.

“Well then you’re just going to have to work a little harder to gain her interest but from what I’ve seen Braize holds no romantic interest in Ryder. Either take the deal James or I will give her to Ryder, you need to grow up a little anyway and learn to work for what you want, not just have it handed to you.”

“And whose fault is that dad?” James retorted and Rick sighed deeply.

“I know my faults as a parent and I’m correcting them. Now go, both of you, and I don’t want to hear another word about this until it’s solved.” Rick said, a hint of the Alpha power laced in his voice.

“Yes sir.” Ryder said and bowed his head once before exiting the room.

*

I wandered around the house aimlessly. I knew I should be looking for Carly but it was more fun to explore. With such a big house I was lost but I knew it wouldn’t be too hard for me to find my way back, I have a photographic memory.

As I neared the end of the hall I was currently in I came to a dead end and was about to turn around to go back when I noticed a small set of stairs leading up to somewhere but I didn’t know where because I was already on the top floor. Being the curious person I am I slowly went up the stairs, checking first to see if there was anyone around me. This place screamed keep out but it didn’t matter to me.