Chapter One

Three words can change a person's life in a matter of moments. ‘I love you’, ‘I hate you’, ‘leave me alone’, ‘I am pregnant’, ‘go do it’, ‘she is mine’ and countless more. Each of these phrases were about to play a huge part in my life only I didn’t realize just how drastically they would.

It was a warm July day, the sun was shining and there were next to no clouds in the sky. I was at the beach sun tanning on the floating dock with my friends when I heard my name from the shore. Propping myself up on my elbows I blocked the sun with my hand and scanned the beach until I spotted a smiling figure waving his arms frantically.

A grin spread on my face as I recognized my best friend Ryder and I was up in an instant, expertly diving off the dock with my friends calling after me but I didn’t care. I hadn’t seen him in close to a year because he was always off on his training. He was enrolled in the military and there was no saying where that would bring him, especially when he turned eighteen, which was this very day.

“Ryder!” I screamed as I emerged from the water and ran into his outstretched arms even though I was soaking wet.

“I think that was your fastest time yet.” He exclaimed, referring to the short time it took me to reach him.

“I haven’t seen you in a year, do you think I would really swim slowly to come see you?” I asked, grabbing my towel and drying myself off. “Plus it’s your birthday.”

“Don’t I know it! I’m so excited to find out where they’re going to send me.” He said to which I responded by shoving his shoulder.

“Don’t be excited. I don’t want you to leave.” I pouted which caused him to pull me into another hug.

“Trust me, you’ve got nothing to worry about.”

“Of course I do. You could get killed.”

“You have nothing to worry about.” He repeated and I sighed before pulling away smiling.

“How did you find me? My mom doesn’t even know I’m here.”

“No but Angelina let out a not so subtle hint that you had disappeared out your window carrying a towel.” He said and I cursed.

“I thought she was still at her friend’s house.” I admitted and Ryder laughed.

“She’s grown up to be quite the beauty. How many boyfriends has she had since I left?”

“First off, creep.” I teased. “That’s my little sister you’re talking about. Second, none. Do you have any idea how mad dad would be to find out that his precious little Angel isn’t as innocent as he thinks she is?”

“Well it won’t be too much longer.”  He said joining me on the blanket I was now sitting on.

“Anyway, getting off the topic of my little sister who you think is hot.” I teased and he rolled his eyes. “What are you doing here? I didn’t think you got back until like ten.”

“I wasn’t supposed to but they let me out early. I grabbed the first plane back. Besides, I figured your mom wouldn’t be too happy about me knocking on you window so late so I thought it would be better if I came to see you early, besides that means you get to spend more time looking at my handsome face.”

“Oh so handsome.” I said sarcastically and saw Ryder’s dark brown eyes shine with mischief before he pounced on top of me and began to tickle me.

“Take it back.” He warned but I just shook her head, tears spilling over from my eyes already. “Take it back.” He said and I nodded because he had found my weak spot.