Chapter 4

Chapter Four

“Bella...there isn't a specific manner in which to tell my story or even part of it so please bear with me as I might confuse you easily throughout the tales of my existence.”

Twitching nervously in my chair, I would swear that I was a nerdy human fifteen year old boy sitting next to the head cheerleader...and they call me supernatural. As I almost snorted over that immature thought, Bella spoke,

“Gabriel, if you're about to put my brain into cardiac arrest than maybe you should wait because right at this minute I don't think my brain could take it. I'm not trying to be cruel, it's just that...”

Willing herself to take in too much information at a time when she has lost the last fragment of normalcy in her life wouldn't be a good idea and I understood her before she finished trying to explain. She needed normalcy more than ever, not more confusion in her life so I would grant her that. Willing myself to deny what I felt with her presence near me wasn't going to happen either. As much as I wanted her to know me, I would wait until she was ready, simple as that. I paused her from going any further and rested my hand gently on her shoulder and said,

“I understand Bella. You need time to heal and with what I was about to tell you wouldn't help your quandary so I will tell my story when you are ready to hear it, but until then my lips are sealed.” Bella smiled only part way. I could sense that she wasn't happy with herself. She wanted to know what I was going to say but the other part of her knew she just couldn't take much more right now.

I pulled my hand back and decided maybe at this time it wouldn't be the greatest idea that I've ever had to eat human food. I was hungry, but it wouldn't kill me to wait until she slept then eat. Bella had something on her mind. I could see it in her eyes. Body language was one thing we all got used to learning early on in our non human existence. You could tell a lot from a human just by the way they carried themselves but their eyes held the most. Human emotions are easily detected just by looking into their eyes and right now Bella wanted to say something, but hesitated. Her father...yes, her father was on her mind. The somber yet happy were fighting each other, playing a cruel game on her beautiful brown eyes. Tears threatened to swell one second and then a sparkle fought to shine through in the same moment. With a soft whisper approach, I began the only way I knew how to help heal her...to...fix her.

“Bella, if I may, can I ask what your father was like?” she studied me with apprehension to my innocent question and at first I wasn't sure why, but it didn't take me long to comprehend her anxiety over it. This was a hard thing to ask of her. She wasn't ready to talk about him, but this is where I could help, just allow her to heal to just...listen to her. I needn't speak now. A listener is what she needed and she needed to know that she could take comfort in that. I slowly reached both hands out to her and said,

“Bella, May I?” palms up, I held my hands out waiting for her to lay her thin delicate hands in mine and almost lethargically she consented. Once our hands joined, I could swear that a divine source was at play. Something in the way of unparalleled tranquility came over me and I could see it in Bella's eyes as well. I could feel that my stare was making her nervous or was it the calming sensation that swept through us that made her nervous? I tried my best not to think about what I was feeling and began focusing on helping her. I knew then though that I set her apart from anyone else I had ever known. I was determined to help no matter the cost.

“Bella, I am here to listen nothing more. You may not believe this, but talking about your father will help you heal and that is most important right now, so please trust in my ability to listen. Besides, I am interested in knowing about him because he is a part of you and you loved him. Please if you feel up to it, I would love nothing more than to sit back and listen attentively.”