Chapter 19

Beyoncé's P.O.V

Wasn't my mood much better the next day? Deep down I knew it wouldn't tear us apart, but I have to confess I was afraid. I was afraid that the uncertainty that had stopped me from telling him everything from the start meant more to him than I imagined.

But I got my baby back, my big one. And now I have to focus on making my two babies get along. I already know that April doesn't really like the idea, because I remember her reaction when we talked about Brian before, but I need her to give him a chance. I know it can work. And I need that to happen.
I can't wait to be able to start a new life with my husband and my daughter.

And by the way, I wonder how April will feel when I talk to her about moving in with me. I mean, I know it's a little early. And my schedule is crazy right now. But at some point, she and I are going to have to be in the same house. I can't leave my daughter with my sister forever.

I'll talk to April and Solange tonight. And I hope we can have dinner together tomorrow.

It was so good to see my baby at the hallway and stopping to talk to me instead of looking at me and walking away coldly.

BRIAN
"Will you talk to them today?"

BEYONCÉ
"Yes. Oh, I almost forgot. You saw April before. She was here the other day and walked away when she saw me with you."

BRIAN
"Was that her?"
(Frowns)
"And she left because of me? Great start..."

BEYONCÉ
"She was still mad at me that day. Her problem wasn't with you."
"Don't worry, I'll talk to her and maybe we can have dinner tomorrow."

BRIAN
"Okay, I'm anxious.... the sooner the better."
(Tries to kiss her)

BEYONCÉ
"No."
(Kisses his cheek)

BRIAN
(Laughs)

He can be so formal at times and so distracted others. We had a crowd behind us and I didn't want to be the star of any show.

***

April's P.O.V

The call from my mother yesterday helped me to go to sleep in a better mood. But when I woke in the morning I had a mission and I wouldn't end the day without concluding it.

After school I did like in the days before, I went to Mrs. Carter's restaurant and asked about Shawn, and then when she told me that he was at the office, I walked down the hallway to get there.
I knocked on the door and he told me to come in, so I did, then I shut the door and sat down, because there was no chance I would get out before I knew what was wrong with him.

SHAWN
"Hey kid."

APRIL
"Hey Shawn..."
"...you've been busy?"

SHAWN
"Yeah... a little..."

APRIL
"I thought I'd see you last night."

SHAWN
(Looks at April)
"I was busy."

APRIL
"Come on Shawn... you have been busy before, and that never stopped you from going to my house or talking to me."
"What's the matter? Did I do something to you?"

SHAWN
"No."

APRIL
"Then why are you pushing me away."

SHAWN
"Am I the one who is pushing you away?"
"Look, I just have been thinking and I don't think I need to be around you all the time."

APRIL
"I like having you around all the time, and I miss it."
"What is it? Is this because of my mother?"

He took a deep breath and dropped the pen that was in his hand before looking at me.

SHAWN
"I don't know how to deal with it. And I'm not sure how I should feel about it."
"But I don't want it to make you feel different. So, I'll give you space to deal with it alone."

APRIL
"Things are changing for me, but I don't want things to change between us."
"I don't need you to give me space to deal with anything. I want things to change, but I want you to be part of it."
"Can you do this for me?"
"Please..."

He rubbed his hand over his face and took another deep breath before speaking.

SHAWN
"I don't know..."
(Sighs)
"I'll try, okay?"

APRIL
(Smiles)
"Okay."

He took back the pen and turned his face to his papers again. I think that was his way to say that our conversation was over. I'll try to give him some time... to try.

I was feeling way better and it encouraged me a bit to sit at a table and read a few things from school.
Damn, if my mother is going to react to my school grades as she reacted to Aaron, I better make my next report card look better than the last one.

Luckily, I got distracted while studying and when I realized it was almost time for my aunt to get out of work. So, I called her to stop by and pick me up.

Just over an hour later, when I looked at the door my mother was getting out of the car with my aunt and entered the restaurant. I couldn't help but smile when she looked at me.

APRIL
"...Mom!"
(Hugs B )

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"Hey baby."
(Greets Mrs. Carter)
"Hello Mrs. Carter."

MRS. CARTER
"Hi."
"Hello Solange."

SOLANGE
(Smiles)
"Hi."

MRS. CARTER
(Smiles)
"It's great to see you three here."
"But you only came to pick April up, right?"

BEYONCÉ
"Yes, unfortunately, we are about to leave."

MRS. CARTER
"Okay, I'm sure I'll see you here other times."

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"Sure, this is already my favorite restaurant in town."

APRIL
"Mom, I'll just go and say goodbye to Shawn, okay?"

BEYONCÉ
"Okay."

I just went to his office and said goodbye and he waved at me.

When we got home, my mother went to my aunt's room with her while I went to my room to drop my stuff and I decided to take a shower too.

***

Beyoncé's P.O.V

BEYONCÉ
"I have to talk to her."
"I hope this won't be a big problem."

SOLANGE
"She was quite upset when she saw you with him in the hospital, but maybe she just needs time to get used to it."

BEYONCÉ
"Brian is a nice guy. I'm sure she will like him as soon as she knows him better."

SOLANGE
(Not too excited)
"Yeah..."

Solange looked away as she spoke and I knew something was wrong.

BEYONCÉ
"What?"

SOLANGE
"Nothing..."

BEYONCÉ
"Solo..."

SOLANGE
"B, why don't you just go and talk to your daughter?"

BEYONCÉ
"It can wait. I want to talk to you now..."

SOLANGE
"No, it can't wait, just go talk to your daughter, we'll talk later."

BEYONCÉ
(Sighs)
"Okay, but we'll talk."

SOLANGE
(Shakes her head)

I remember the first time we talked about me getting married and she didn't seem very excited. I thought it was only because of April, but now I think it's more than that. And I'll certainly find out what it is.

I slowly walked up to April's bedroom and I saw the door slightly open. I knocked, but I had no answer, so I just came in.
I assumed she was in the shower, since her clothes were on the bed.

I sat there and smiled when I saw my picture next to Jon's. I do miss having him by my side. I can't believe I'm planning a life with someone else now.

A few minutes later April came back.

BEYONCÉ
"Milly, come sit here. I need to talk to you."

APRIL
(Sighs)
"Is it about school?"

BEYONCÉ
(Laughs)
"No... It's not about school... yet."
"But we'll get there."

APRIL
(Sits on the bed)

BEYONCÉ
"Do you remember the man you saw with me at the hospital?"

APRIL
"Yes..."

BEYONCÉ
"His name is Brian, and he is my... fiancé."
"We are getting married..."

APRIL
(Gets up)
"What?"
(Frowns)
"Why?"

BEYONCÉ
"Well... He is a very good man and I know he loves me, and I love him too."

APRIL
"...More than my dad?"

BEYONCÉ
"No. Your father has a place in my heart that no one will ever take."
"But I can't have him back. So, I want to start a new life... with a man I love."
"That man is Brian. And it is very important to me that you two get along, because you two are part of my life."

APRIL
(Angry)
"What if it doesn't happen? What if I don't like him or he doesn't like me?"

BEYONCÉ
(Sighs)
"That won't happen. I know you just need to give him a chance. And he's anxious to meet you."
"But I won't force you to like him. I'm just asking you to try. Can you do this for me?"

APRIL
(Rolls her eyes)
"Okay."

BEYONCÉ
(Laughs and shakes her head)

I rubbed her back and she hugged me. I never get tired of having my baby in my arms.
I know it won't be that easy, but I think she'll come around.

***

April's P.O.V

I won't tell her, but when I saw that guy, something bothered me. Maybe it was his two huge hands on MY MOM!

But... as much as I don't like it, I'll give him a chance. That's what I just told her, right? And after all, she likes him and he apparently likes her too. This is just a little hard to me. I mean, not even two months ago I didn't have a mother and now I have a stepfather? Uggggh... This word doesn't sound good at all.

My mother kissed my head as I hugged her and it broke my thoughts. It felt good to sit here and hug her. It had been a while since we did that and it was something I certainly could get used to and would never get tired of.

After a while, we went downstairs and my mother decided to make dinner. And I was very happy with that.

Not even 30 minutes after I sat on the couch waiting for the food, I heard a knock on the door and a smile covered my face. I was longing to hear that around dinnertime again.

APRIL
(Opens the door)

SHAWN
"Hey kid."

APRIL
"Hey Shawn ..."
(Hugs him)
"I've really missed you."

He frowned when I hugged him and he rubbed my back before I let him go.

SHAWN
(Shakes his head)
"I can't get used to your loving side."
"What did they do to you?"

APRIL
"Oh... shut up."

SHAWN
(Laughs)
"There you are."
"So the doctor is here?!"

APRIL
"...My mother? Yeah, she's here, how do you know?"

SHAWN
"Her car is outside and I can smell real food from the kitchen."

APRIL
(Laughs)

SOLANGE
(Coming from the kitchen)
"I heard that."

SHAWN
"Hey Solange."

SOLANGE
"Hi Shawn, I was getting worried about you."

BEYONCÉ
(Coming from the kitchen)
"Dinner will be ready in 20 minutes."
(Sees Shawn)
"Oh... hi..."
(Not too excited)

SHAWN
"What's up doc?"

A few minutes later we were at the dinner table.

APRIL
"So when will we meet your fiancé, mom?"

SHAWN
(Looks at B )
"Fiancé? Things got serious..."
"So when will we meet him, doc?"

BEYONCÉ
(Sighs)
"I thought maybe we could have dinner tomorrow..."

APRIL
"Here?"

BEYONCÉ
"Actually, I thought we could go out or maybe you could go to our house..."

SHAWN
"Our? Do you live together?"

BEYONCÉ
(Rolls her eyes at Shawn)
"As I was saying... maybe you-"

SOLANGE
"B, I don't want to make it harder, but he'll be the one meeting your family, so I think it would be better if he comes here. And I'm sure April will feel more comfortable with that."

APRIL
(Nods)

BEYONCÉ
(Sighs)
"Okay, so... I'll bring him here tomorrow."

***

Beyoncé's P.O.V

BEYONCÉ
(Entering the bedroom)
"Baby, what is this?"

BRIAN
"What? ...The tie?"

BEYONCÉ
"This tie, these pants, these shoes... are you going to wear a suit also?"

BRIAN
"I don't know what to wear. I think I'm a little nervous."

BEYONCÉ
(Laughs)
"Yeah... I can tell."
(Kisses him)
"Baby..."

We were getting ready to meet Solange and April, and Brian was acting like my father was an army general and he was going to ask my father's permission to marry me.

I took off his tie and then the belt. Then I started to kiss him as I pushed him toward the bed. When we got there I made him lie down and I opened his shirt.

BRIAN
"I thought we were going out?"

I kissed him hard again before speaking.

BEYONCÉ
"And we are. As soon as you relax and put the type of clothes you wear to have a normal dinner. We're not getting married tonight."

BRIAN
(Sighs)

We took another 30 minutes to finally leave home. Somehow, I was finding his nervousness so cute.
I think it will still take a while for him to get used to the idea that I have a daughter and everything it really means. But it's good to see that he realizes the importance it will have between us.

BEYONCÉ
"Baby, relax."
"My daughter is 14 and my sister is 24. They are young and very nice, don't worry."

BRIAN
(Takes a deep breath)

We had just gotten there and I was holding Brian's hand while walking to the door. His hand was cold.

SHAWN
(Opens the door)
"What's up Doc?"

BEYONCÉ
(Sighs)
"What are you doing her-"
"You know what, never mind."
(Comes in)
"Where are the girls?"

SHAWN
"April is taking a shower and Solange is in the kitchen pretending she made the food that she actually bought."
(Sees Brian)
"This must be Baby?"

BRIAN
"...who?"

BEYONCÉ
"Nothing... Baby, this is Shawn, April's... friend."
(Gives a fake smile)
"Shawn, this is my fiancé, Brian."

BRIAN
(Extends his hand)

SHAWN
"What's up...?"
(Sits on the couch)

BEYONCÉ
(Rolls her eyes)
"Don't pay attention to him, he feels good being annoying."
"I'm going to talk to my sister, I'll be back."
(Enters the kitchen)

SOLANGE
"Hi B."

BEYONCÉ
"Hi Solo."
(Hugs her)

SOLANGE
"So is he here?"

BEYONCÉ
"Yes."

SOLANGE
"Okay, let's meet him."

I could see in her face there was something bothering her.

BEYONCÉ
(Stops Solange)
"What's going on, Solo?"

SOLANGE
"What? Nothing..."

BEYONCÉ
"I know you well enough to know you're lying."

SOLANGE
"It's nothing, B..."
(Tries to walk away)

BEYONCÉ
"No, we're not going anywhere until you tell me what's wrong."

SOLANGE
(Sighs)
"... I'm just worried about you."

BEYONCÉ
(Frowns)
"... About 'me'? Why?

SOLANGE
"I don't know this guy yet. Maybe he's a great guy and he's going to be the best husband for you. But marriage is a big step B, even to someone who was there before."
"I look at you and see too many unsolved issues for you to jump into something like this."

BEYONCÉ
"I have no unsolved issues Solo, and Brian won't be one."

SOLANGE
"B, you said yes to this man without even telling him about your daughter."
"April barely got used to having her mother back and now she'll have to get used to having a stepfather..."
"And if your life was so well settled, why do you never tried to contact us?"

BEYONCÉ
"Sola-"

SOLANGE
"I'm sorry B, but right now you don't seem a person that has no unsolved issues. You seem someone with a lot of them."
(Walks away)

I asked, didn't I?

Damn, my sister knows me better than I would like her to.
I see where she's coming from. I know I've done many wrong decisions and based on wrong reasons in the past. But I also know that everything will work out this time.

BEYONCÉ
(Goes to the living room)
"Baby, this is my sister, Solange."
"Solo, this is my fiancé, Brian."

BRIAN
(Smiles)
"Hi..."
(Extends his hand)

SOLANGE
(Smiles)
"Hi."
(Shakes his hand)

***

April's P.O.V

So today was the day. I would meet my new stepfather. Ugh, did I tell you I hate this word?
I don't know if I can get used to it.

As I walked down the stairs I heard voices from the living room. And I knew one of them was his because it was the only one I couldn't recognize.

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"Hey baby."

My mother looked at me as soon as I entered the room and I hugged her before she focus on the man standing beside her.

BEYONCÉ
"Milly, this is Brian."
"Brian, this is my daughter... April."

BRIAN
(Nervous)
"Hi, April."

APRIL
(Nods)
"What's up?"

BRIAN
(Tries to hug her)

APRIL
(Sits on the couch)
"When are we going to... uh... eat?"

SHAWN
"I sure am hungry."

BEYONCÉ
(Sighs)
"Well, I think we can eat. Solange bought-"

SOLANGE
(Frowns)
"I what...? Who said I bought something...?"

BEYONCÉ
"Didn't you buy the food?"

SOLANGE
"No..."

My mother looked at Shawn with an eyebrow raised and then turned her attention back to my aunt.

BEYONCÉ
"...why not?"

SHAWN & APRIL
(Laughs)

SOLANGE
"Oh shut up you three. Let's eat already."

My mother and my aunt went to the kitchen to bring the food and me, Shawn and Brian went to the table.

BRIAN
(Confused)
"Did I miss something?"

SHAWN
(Taps Brian's back)
"No, just enjoy the food... it definitely will be great."

APRIL
(Laughs)

Brian seemed a little nervous during dinner and my mother seemed to sense it, 'cause she kept smiling at him and they were touching all the time. I don't know if this should be normal to me. But it wasn't, seeing a guy with his hands on my mom was really bothering me.

SHAWN
"...So, Brian, isn't it?"
"What do you do for a living?"

BRIAN
"I'm a doctor... a surgeon. I graduated at-"

SHAWN
"So you're a doctor too?! Do you two work in the same hospital?"

BRIAN
"Yes, we actually-"

SHAWN
"That is pretty cool. Have you known each other long?"

BRIAN
"Nine years. We met-"

SHAWN
"That's a long time. Do you plan on having more children?"

I spent most of the time laughing at Shawn, well, more like at Brian. I could see he was about to get to some boring conversation and Shawn would always stop him. But I was curious to know the answer to this one. Actually, I was most curious to know what my mother would say.

BRIAN
"Well, I-"

BEYONCÉ
"I think Shawn asked too many questions already. Especially, since he is not even a member of this family."
"He probably only comes here every night because he lost the remote to his own TV."

SHAWN
(To Brian)
"Is she always funny like that?"

Dinner lasted about 30 minutes and it was pretty much like that. I couldn't stop laughing at Shawn. And thank God, he was there, or it would have been a very boring dinner, with a long conversation about work, college, family and the worst... school.

My mom was the one who didn't seem very happy. You could see from afar that she and Shawn would never be best friends. But if I would have to get used to a guy whose hands spend more time on my mom than at the end of his arm. She will have to get used to Shawn. I think it's fair.

BEYONCÉ
"I think we'll get going now."
"Brian has to work tomorrow."

APRIL
(Sighs)
"Okay..."

BRIAN
"She could ... uh ... I don't know. She could spend the night with us. I mean, tomorrow is Saturday and you'll have the day off B."

BEYONCÉ
(Smiles)
"Yeah... would you like to come, baby?"

APRIL
"...To your house?"

BEYONCÉ
"Yes. Tomorrow we can spend the day together and I can bring you back later."

APRIL
"I don't know..."

I looked at my aunt and she smiled at me. Maybe it's not such a bad idea.

APRIL
"Yeah... I think it would be nice."

BEYONCÉ
"Fine, then go get clothes to sleep and to spend the day."

APRIL
"I'll be back."
(Goes upstairs)

SHAWN
"Yep... Mr. Doc doesn't waste time..."
"Y'all should ask her to move in already."

BEYONCÉ
"I hope that happens soon."

SHAWN
(Angry)
"You know what? I think I'll get going..."
(Walks to the door)

BEYONCÉ
"And this is certainly the best part of the night!"

SHAWN
(Leaves)

BRIAN
"Calm down, baby."

APRIL
(Comes back with a back pack)
"Where's Shawn...?"

SOLANGE
"He left already."

APRIL
"Dam- uh..."
(Looks at B )
"He couldn't wait for me to come back?"

BEYONCÉ
(Mutters)
"I was the one who couldn't wait..."
(To April)
"Well, let's go?"

APRIL
"Yes."
"Bye aunt Solo."
(Hugs Solange)

SOLANGE
"Bye girl. I'll see you tomorrow."

I was excited to see my mother's house. I'll probably spend a lot of time at this one. And I was hoping that Shawn wouldn't be mad at me again.

* * *

SOLANGE
"And he fought bravely, but the score was Shawn 1 x Beyoncé 2."