Chapter 3 - Wolf Bite

It seems I am always waking up to a sound of danger. This time at least I woke up in time to stop it. I was alert; my muscles were coiled and ready for action before I was fully awake and aware. I slowly reached for the pocket knife I kept strapped to my thighs and waited for the intruder to approach me.

He was very quiet, unusually so. The only reason I was awakened was because of his smell. No, he didn’t stink, but perhaps 'smell' is not the right word- I think scent fits better.

I’ve come across it before, dilute but unmistakably HIS. I knew who it was and I knew I was in no danger, but he was in more danger than he realized. I mentally rolled my eyes. These people who are professionals tend to underestimate those of us that they believe are amateurs. Truth was, I could probably kill this man; it doesn’t mean I would come out of it unscathed or come out of it at all, but I could kill him. But my mental alarm forced me re-evaluate. It seems even my mind knew that there was more this man can do alive than in a ditch somewhere in London. I breathed evenly and made sure I gave no sign that I was awake.

I felt him reach for me, the stirring of air before he grabbed my shoulders. I rolled away, leaving him clutching the bedspread. Before either of us had time to take a breath, in I jumped on him, pushing him back on the bed and at the same time pulling out the knife. I wasn’t trying to stab him- I was well aware of whom it was, but I wanted to make a point to show him that I wasn’t some little girl he could intimidate. I wanted to prove that I was as much of a threat as he was.

It seems I have to prove myself, but this was one battle I don’t often tend to engage. It gives me a chance to weigh the opposition to learn their moves, their weaknesses.

He was enormously strong. I knew surprise was my only advantage. I launched myself off the bed and had a knife against his throat before he drew another breath.

“I thought we agreed that you were going to leave me alone.”

“Well, I lied.” he growled

I raised an eye brow at him “Ahhh . . . you see, that doesn’t work for me. I can’t have a shifter following me everywhere, it gets on my nerves and you see when people annoy me, they usually end up dead or so broken they might as well be dead.”

It was now his turn to raise the eyebrow.

“So you are a self-professed killer?” he asked.

“Hey, at least I know I am a killer. You and your people just smile and act all innocent while gutting the person. I am sure you even lick the blood from your face while doing it.”

He growled again and before I knew it, he flipped us around so I was the one on the bottom. He grinned as my knife dropped to the floor at the unexpected move.

“So how do you know I was a shifter?” every word he spoke came out as a growl; frightening, inhuman and totally unoriginal.

I rolled my eyes. “Can you stop growling at me? It’s kinda boring and I don’t think it’s good for your throat. I keep expecting you to start coughing any minute now.”

He stared down at me like I had grown a beard and tentacles.

“You’re not scared of me are you?”

I smiled at him“I hesitate to use this word, but DUH- I mean what clued you in, the fact that I am laughing at the ‘I am the alpha and you shall obey.’ Shit you think you can pull or is it the gun that is pointed at your head right now?”

I pushed the barrel closer to his head, making sure the safety was on and wouldn’t blow his brain off. Trust me, brain juice is not a very good colour on me.