Chapter-15

It was a month after Ginny had told Remus the truth, and still Harry had not been found. He hadn’t even written to Ginny, and that scared her. But she wasn’t giving up hope that he was still out there, doing what he needed to do. She had been spending a lot of time with Ron and Hermione, and felt like she was being a third wheel. When she shared this with Hermione though, she got a totally different answer.

“Oh, Ginny, of course you’re not being a third wheel,” Hermione exclaimed. “We’d rather you hang out with us than not. It’s dangerous right now, Ginny. Even at Hogwarts no one is safe. Ron is scared to death that because you’re seeing Harry, he might lose you. He almost lost you once, remember? He doesn’t want to ever go through that again, so he wants you with us.”

“Well… okay Hermione, but if you guys ever just want to be alone, please tell me, and I’ll go do my school work.”

“Ginny… like I said, we don’t care,” Hermione replied. “We want to make sure you’re safe at all times.”

“Thanks Hermione,” Ginny said, and hugged her best friend. She felt so touched that they cared about her this much. That they would lose time together to make sure she stayed safe. It bothered her a bit though. When Hermione said that Hogwarts wasn’t safe anymore, she got chills. If Hogwarts wasn’t safe, then out in the world would be extremely dangerous. It made her worry about Harry even more.

*~*~*~*

Even though the family knew the truth, that didn’t keep them from continuing the search. Mad-Eye Moody was in charge of the search team, and he wanted to make sure Harry was found safe. It was a month after Christmas, and still the search team wondered if they were ever going to find him.

One day, Moody heard the voice of one of his searchers yell out, “Hey, I think I found something!”

Quickly, he ran over to see what they had found. He looked down at the ground, and saw a black piece of fabric. Bending down to take a better look, he realized it was a cloak. On the cloak was a lion, the symbol of Gryffindor. But this cloak was different than all the other Hogwarts cloaks. This one was burned to the point where you could barely see the lion.

“Where did you find this?” Moody asked.

“At the bottom of the lake nearby, Sir,” his searcher replied. “We went diving down, and found a piece of black fabric, so we pulled it out of the lake.”

“Gather up the search team boys and we’ll take this to the Minister of Magic,” Moody said. As the men left, Moody sat down next to a tree, and buried his head in his hands. He knew what this meant, but he just didn’t want to think about it until he talked to Scrimgeour.

When all the men were gathered, they apparated to the Ministry of Magic. Moody began to walk to Scrimgeour’s office when he realized all the searchers were following him.

“Stay here,” he ordered. “This is something I have to discuss with the minister alone.” The searchers obeyed his wishes, and he continued on to the ministers office. When he got there, he knocked on the door and heard a voice say, “Come in.”

He stepped inside the room, and heard the voice of Scrimgeour bellow, “Have you found Potter yet, Moody?”

“No, we haven’t exactly found Harry yet, Minister,” Moody replied. “But we did find something I feel you should look at.” At those last words he handed the minister the burnt cloak. “One of the searchers found this at the bottom of a lake.”

All the blood drained out of Scrimgeour’s face when he eyed the cloak. Moody saw the change, and sat down in one of the office chairs.

“What do you make of it, Minister?” he asked, silently praying he wouldn’t say what he thought he would say.

“Well… with this piece of evidence, I find it best to assume Potter is… no longer with us,” Scrimgeour said. “We must call off the search and contact Potter’s family.”

“Yes, Minister, I’ll do that myself,” Moody replied. “Should I also send a letter to Hogwarts to inform the staff?”

“Yes, Moody, please do,” the minister answered, and Moody silently got up and left the room.

When Moody walked outside the office and into the entrance of the ministry, he saw all of the searchers sitting down in chairs. The moment they saw him, they stood up and gave Moody a questioning look.

Noticing this, he said, “The minister has given me orders to call off the search. He believes, as do I, that Potter was killed.” At those words, the searchers sat down in the chairs. Some started silently crying, and some had looks of disbelief on their faces. But Moody couldn’t take care of that at the moment. What he knew he had to do was inform the Weasley’s of his death.

Moody apparated right there, and landed at the Burrow’s doorstep. Quietly, he knocked on the door, and heard the movement of someone get up to answer it.

Bill was the one. At the sight of Moody, he said, “Oh, Mad-Eye, please come in!”

“Bill, wait… there is something I need to discuss with your father before I come in.”

So Bill called his father over, and as Mr. Weasley got up to the door, Moody said, “Arthur, we need to talk.” Mr. Weasley immediately got pale faced.

“What is it, Mad-Eye, what’s happened?” he said, and Bill, hearing these words, got up yet again to the door. Charlie followed him, and together, they joined their father.

“The searchers… well, we found something today,” Mad-Eye said, not knowing how to tell them. Seeing the questioning looks, he continued. “A cloak was found at the bottom of a lake this morning. It was burnt to a crisp, but I made out a symbol on the heart of it. The symbol of the Gryffindor lion. When we showed it to the minister, he told us to… call off the search. He believes Harry is….” He didn’t have to finish his sentence for the men in front of him to understand.

“Mad-Eye,” Arthur said, trying to cover up the breaking sound in his voice, “please, come inside.”

*~*~*~*

It was one day after Ginny and Hermione had the conversation about being a third wheel. Ginny was up in her dormitory, doing her school work, when she heard the tapping on the window. She got up, opened the window, pulled off the letter, and read that Professor McGonagall wished to see her. She gave the bird a treat, and walked up to the Headmistresses office.

As she got to the Gargoyle that blocked the staircase, she saw that McGonagall was waiting for her outside.

“Let us go up to my office, Miss Weasley, we have something we need to discuss.” McGonagall said the password, and she and Ginny walked up the stairs. When they got into the office, Ginny took off her hat, took a seat at McGonagall’s desk and waited for her to talk.

“Miss Weasley, I think it would be best if I get to the point fast,” McGonagall said. “I don’t want to drag this out any longer than I have to. The search team, who were looking for Mr. Potter, found something yesterday.”

Ginny’s face went immediately pale as the thought crossed her mind that they’d found Harry and were forcing him to go back to school instead of finishing his journey.

“What did they find, Professor?” Ginny asked.

“They found a burnt Gryffindor cloak at the bottom of a lake,” McGonagall replied. Ginny’s face went even paler as McGonagall continued. “The Minister of Magic believes that… that Mr. Potter is… dead.” Professor McGonagall looked at the girl. There was nothing but silence for a few moments, when finally McGonagall asked, “Are you alright, Miss Weasley?”

“I’m fine, Professor,” she said in a cheerful voice. “May I be excused now please?”

“Yes, Miss Weasley, you may be excused,” she replied, and Ginny left the office.

As she walked back to the Common Room, she started thinking of all the times they had together.

~Flashback~

Fred and George had just walked off the train to say goodbye to their mother and sister. Ginny was ten, and was so depressed that she couldn’t go to the school yet. That’s all she could think about, until she heard her brothers start talking about someone they met on the train.

It was then that Fred announced that they’d seen someone special on the train, and when George said it was the boy they’d helped on the train, her mind started turning. Her mother asked who it was, and they both said it was Harry Potter. Oh, how she wanted to meet him, and begged her mother. But of course, her mother said no, and said it would be extremely rude.

Her mum had wanted to know how they knew it was Harry Potter, and of course, the twins had asked him. They said they even saw his scar. But her mum… she just felt sorry for the young boy. Fred and George wanted to ask him questions like what You-Know-Who looked like.

Her mother got very angry at those words, and forbade the twins to ask him their burning questions.

That’s when the train’s whistle blew, and the twins had to get onto the train really fast. As the train left, she started crying, and Fred and George said they’d send her loads of owls and a Hogwarts toilet seat. Her mother got mad again, and yelled at the boys, who said they were just joking. She didn’t want to see the train leave without her on it, so she chased it until she could no longer see it. On the way back home, all she could think about was Harry Potter being on that train, and how she wished she could meet him.

*~*~*~*

She remembered when he came to her home for the first time. She was so shy, she stayed up in her room most of the time. But on the first day, she left her door open just a little bit, and as Harry walked up the stairs to Ron’s room, she looked him straight in his green eyes.

She remembered another time when she was embarrassed to see him. At the sight of him, she freaked, and dropped her bowl of porridge. When she retrieved it, and sat back down, she set her elbow in the butter dish. What an embarrassing day.

*~*~*~*

She remembered waking up in the Chamber of Secrets. She gasped when she saw him, and started bawling. Her nightmare had come true. The secret on who opened the chamber was no longer a mystery. And, what was worse, her crush had discovered the truth.

Ever since she was very young she had wanted to go to Hogwarts with her brothers. Now, in her very first year, she had done something so stupid, she knew for sure she’d get expelled. But Harry was kind to her, and told her that it was all just a memory now, and she would be alright. She wished he would hug her… but he didn’t.

Together, they walked out of the chamber, met Ron, and flew up to Hogwarts with Fawkes. She remembered how Harry helped her that night. He explained things to her mother and father when she couldn’t. He was so kind, such a hero. She was so happy when he didn’t get expelled. She knew she would be seeing him again.

*~*~*~*

She remembered when they were on the train the year after the Chamber incident. Percy caught sight of his girlfriend, Penelope. As Percy went to her, Harry looked at Ginny, and they both turned away to hide their laughter. That was a fine day. It made her think that maybe they could be friends.

*~*~*~*

She remembered the ball in her third year. She was so upset when Ron said that he and Hermione could go together, and her and Harry could go together. She would’ve loved to go with Harry, but she already made a date with Neville, and she couldn’t break it. But she remembered seeing him there, seeing him in his dress robes, and wishing she could dance with him.

*~*~*~*

She remembered when he locked himself up in his room at Grimmauld Place. When he was so upset because he thought her dad getting hurt was his fault, when he thought he was a weapon. She helped him out a lot that day, just by reminding him that he could talk to her about Voldemort anytime, because she too had been hurt by him. That cheered him up quite a bit, and she was so proud of herself that day.

Later that year they went to the Department of Mysteries to help Harry save Sirius. She would’ve done anything to help him that day, but when she broke her ankle, she knew she was limited with the things she could do. At least she got Malfoy to leave him alone. Her perfect Bat-Bogey Hex did the trick. But seeing him depressed after Sirius was killed drove her crazy. How she wished she could make him feel better.

*~*~*~*

It was just last year when she won the Quidditch Cup for her team. Harry would’ve played but he was in detention that day. Ron was screaming, “WE WON! WE WON!” She ran over and threw her arms around Harry. She was surprised when he kissed her. When they broke apart, Harry looked at her brother, as if getting his permission, then he took her on a walk.

It was just a little while after they’d gotten together when her, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were relaxing in the Common Room.

She was pondering aloud her feelings on the horrible news that had surrounded them all lately, and then mentioned the current news topic at the school: Them. Romilda Vane had asked her about Harry’s “tattoo”. It made Harry laugh when she told him her response to the question, and made her brother angry when she mentioned that she had told Romilda Vane he had a Pygmy Puff on an unknown area of his body.

Her brother had thrown her a dirty look while Hermione was rolled on the floor laughing. Harry just… sat there… and smiled.

*~*~*~*

Just a few months after they got together, Dumbledore and Harry left to find a Horcrux. Before he left, though, he gave them all his lucky potion, so incase there was a battle, they’d all stay safe. It was lucky he did, too, because they almost got hit by spells many times.

She remembered when Harry cried over Dumbledore’s dead body. Hagrid kept trying to take him away from there, but he wouldn’t listen. It was her that he listened to. She took his hand and brought him to the Hospital Wing, where they both told everyone Dumbledore was dead.

*~*~*~*

It was at the funeral that he broke up with her. She knew he would, though. But she also knew that as soon as Voldemort was dead, he would come back to her. Then, when he came back to the house that summer, he told her he wanted to get back together. They would talk every night about what he wanted to do. How he wanted to leave to find and destroy all the Horcruxes. She remembered coming up with the plan to get him out of the house. She remembered him leaving.

*~*~*~*

“Gin?” he asked. “Ginny? Ginny are you okay?” He walked over to her and looked her in the eye. She just seemed to be staring off into space.

Finally she said, “What have I done?”

Harry just looked at her and said, “What do you mean?”

“Oh, Harry,” she cried. “This could be the last time I see you. For all I know you could get killed the second you leave my sight. Harry… what if I never see you again?”

Harry didn’t know what to say to her. He was also worried about never seeing her again, but he couldn’t tell her that. So, he did the best he could do to comfort her.

He wrapped his arms around her and said, “We may never see each other again. For all I know, I could get killed in five minutes. But think of what’ll happen if I don’t die, if I kill Voldemort. Everything will be normal again.”

“I know, Harry,” Ginny said. “But one of my biggest fears is getting a letter at breakfast saying you were found dead in the woods.”

“Ginny… that’s something we’ll just have to risk,” he replied. “But if I do die, I want you to remember that I’ll always be with you.”

“Always?” she asked.

“Yes,” he replied, and took Dumbledore’s locket out of his pocket, and handed it to her.

She took it and read the words that he had inscribed on it a week before.

“Always and forever,” she said, reading the inscribed words aloud. “Are you… are you giving this to me?”

“Yes,” he said, and hooked it around her neck. “Therefore, even though I’m not there with you, you’ll have a piece of me always there.”

She looked down at the locket and held the heart in her hands. The words inscribed on it were so thoughtful and so sweet, they made her love him even more.

Not knowing what to say, she let the heart shaped pendant fall to her chest, and jumped into his arms. And then, for the first time in months, she kissed him. The kiss only lasted a few moments, but to them it lasted forever. Both of them had no idea how long it would be until they saw each other again, or if they would ever see each other again.

When the kiss finally broke and Harry stepped into the forest behind him, Ginny was silent. Nothing in the whole world could cheer her up now. Quietly, as she wiped the tears out of her chocolate brown eyes, she walked back to the Burrow.

~End Flashback~

She was back in the Common Room now, her face showing no emotion at all.

“Hey, Ginny,” Hermione said. “How were your classes today?”

“Ginny, what are you doing?” Ron asked, as he saw her walk up the stairs to her dormitory.

“Ginny, you can’t go up there,” Hermione said. “You could get into trouble.”

But Ginny ignored them. She walked up the stairs to the seventh year boys dormitory. Looking around, she saw Harry’s bed and walked over to it. She bent down, and touched the words ‘Harry Potter’ on the board of it. She took off her locket that he had given her before he left, and put it on the bed.

“Always and forever,” she whispered, and started to bawl.

“Ginny what are you--” Hermione gasped at the sight of Ginny on the floor of Harry’s bed in tears. “Ron!” she called. “Ron, come here quick!”

She heard footsteps on the stairs and heard Ron run over to her. She pushed him away, and continued to cry. That’s when she heard a voice.

“Miss Weasley, you forgot your hat up in--” Professor McGonagall gasped and ran over to her. She wrapped the girl in a hug, and whispered, “It’ll be okay, Miss Weasley. Things will be alright.”

“Professor, what’s happened?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with her?” Ron added.

Professor McGonagall continued to hug Ginny as she told the two bewildered students about Harry. By the time she was done, Ron was staring at the wall of his dorm, while Hermione was in his arms crying.

Through all the chaos, the crying, and the thinking, nobody heard Ginny whisper, “Always and forever.”