Chapter 4 - Night Round

“Should we trust this guy?” Anthony asked as he drove right behind the cop.

“Of course babe he’s a cop, they help people,” Riley said like a zombie apocalypse was not happening, she’s in denial I never heard her talked like this, like a child. This morning was a bit too much to take in, I wish we could just wake up from this but we can’t its real and we have to survive.

“Riley this world has literally gone to hell now and I can assurance you that nobody would give two shits about helping everyone, it’s every man for themselves now,” Anthony spat.

Its true when disaster strikes people go nuts they defend themselves or those loves ones, they would go to extremes to protect what is theirs. If it was a nature clause like an earthquake or hurricane people would help one another out as much as they could but unfortunately in our case it is not.

“Alexis tell him he’s being stupid, people do help each other out when disaster strikes!” Riley begged.

I don’t know anymore, not too long ago he was all up for leaving me behind to search for my sister. Who is still missing-Or is dead?  Anthony did come and help us but I think it’s only because of Riley- his loved one. I wonder if he is regretting his decision now.

“You guys it is almost night fall it would be better to sleep go somewhere where it is less filled with these monsters,” I said letting out a defeated sigh. We fell into silence and the more we drove out into the country the less we saw of the chaos that overtook this ton in almost a day. I just hope that where we go there won’t be many zombies.

Finally we reached a two story house that sat in the middle of the land, we were out in the country side and it was deserted but that was only until zombies would find us. We drove up to the house and immediately four people came out another young officer came out, an older looking man and woman, and a young boy.

We all got out and the older woman ran to hug Jack, “Did you find him?” asked the woman he voice full of worry as she pulled away to look at him.

Jack gave her a sad smile and even though his body and face showed composure his eyes held desperation and sadness. He shook his head and hugged her again he whispered something to her and she began to cry. “Did he turn?” asked the young boy stepping up to Jack and the woman.

“I don’t know Danny I looked for him and I couldn’t find him,” Jack spoke each word filled with defeat. The boy’s face fell and he began to cry the woman moved away from Jack and went to Danny and lead him towards the house.

“Where did you find the survivors?” asked the other officer, I think Jack said his name was Ronald.

“Next door to my parents’ house,” Jack said, “None of you are bitten or nothing?” Ronald asked. We shook our heads, “She almost got herself killed having them in front of her she turn her back to them,” Riley pointed out with a hint of anger in her voice. “She was lucky I shot them or she would have died,” Jack said.

I didn’t speak I was drained, not only did my parents die twice but Natalie was nowhere to be found and in a chaotic world, the chances of her being found were low but her being dead were high. I had nothing else to live out in this world, it was going to crumble down and become hell with those things bringing down the human race. I was defeated I wanted nothing more than to just die now.  

“We should get in and make a plan if something were to happen tonight,” the older man said. “My name is William I am Jack’s grandfather,” he introduced himself extending his hand out to the three us of. “I’m Alexis, these are my friends Riley and Anthony,” I shook his hand and introduced us.

“Nice to meet you all would have been nicer if it were not at a time like this, come lets go inside,” we all followed him. Once inside you felt the warm comfortable feeling you get when your feel at home, it was a cozy little home- even if the house was two stories.

Standing in a hallway to the left there was the kitchen, and to the left was the living room it was pretty big and had a white carpet instead of wooden floors. There were two more people sitting on the black couches cuddled up together- probably trying to get a grip on what reality has become. They both looked young- not teenagers but maybe in their early twenties.

“Come take a seat,” William gestured with his hands the three couches in the living room, “here let me take those to Beth” William told me as he took the bag of food I had. Riley and Anthony took a seat huddled up together and I took a seat next to Jack and Ronald.

We just sat in silence each one of us thinking about what has happened; just yesterday I was at work and laughing with my coworkers and hanging out with Riley now I don’t even know if everyone I know is either dead or alive?

“Okay so let’s get started Jeff and Hailey, this is Jack my grandson and these are survivors, Alexis, Riley and Anthony,” William introduced as he sat down in the chair. We all gave a halfhearted smile and turned to look at William.

“So what do you think Jack, Ronald and Anthony you want to do the night round tonight with while everyone rests tonight?”

“I don’t mind,” Jack and Ronald replied.

“If you don’t mind can I stay with my girl tonight she’s still pretty shaken up,” Anthony asked. We are all shaken up, what the hell is wrong with him!

“I think she will be fine with Alexis-” Jack started but I cut him off, “I’ll do it, it’s no problem but can I rest for like thirty minutes?” Jack gave me a small smile and shook his head yes.

“Okay Jack, Ronald, and Alexis can watch for the first half of the night and Jeff, Anthony and I will do the second round, that should give you enough time to calm down your girlfriend,” William said disdainful tone.

Anthony did not look too please by his tone but nodded his head and his jaw was locked from preventing to back talking to him. I don’t blame Anthony, I would not like it either but right now I could care less. They felt like they should be treated with care as if they were the only ones going through a rough time but the reality that they seem to recognize was that we were all in this.

I might sound pissed but that was an understatement; I was devastated with frustration and worry- frustrated with Riley and Anthony’s behavior and worry about what is to come and not knowing anything about my sister.

“Great it’s settled then Jack show Alexis a room and the rest of us can make dinner and then head off to rest but be on alert we don’t know if we might be attacked,” he instructed.

He sure did know how to give orders- more than the officers but William seem to have the intuition to lead. Everyone then got and headed towards the kitchen and Jack and I walked upstairs in silence, talk about awkward.

I felt the need to apologize for my friends’ behavior so I did, “sorry about Riley and Anthony honesty I have no clue why they are acting so high and important all of a sudden.”

“It’s okay I can tell that you are a little more than frustrated with them, are they always like that?” he asked as we reached a door.

I shook my head, “never this whole thing is bringing out their true colors I guess I hope it is not the real them though,” I said softly. They were the only close thing I had to family now and if how they are acting is their true self than I am going to lose the little hope I have inside. Jack was studying my face for a while that it made me feel self-conscience he broke eye contact and spoke, “sorry umm…  I will come and get you when diner is ready and then we can start the watch.”

“Okay thank you, um… Is this the room?”

We stood in front of the door but I was not really sure if he wanted me in this room, “Y-yeah sorry this is your room,” he nervously said and opened the door and we just stood there.

Can I say awkward, again?

____________________________________________________________________

Sorry!:( Been busy with school, but I hope you enjoy this chapter hoepfully I have time to write more and have it up quicker. ^__^

Thank you! Those who read, vote and comment!