Chapter 29

Garrett was talking with the university President's wife when he saw Cora enter. As soon as he saw her he tuned out the woman's voice and focused all his attention on Cora. She was beautiful, her hair caught the attention of most of those around her, and he noticed that many of the men kept on watching her just as he was. It made him insanely jealous yet proud all at the same time.

He watched her look around then head towards the bar when she couldn't find him. She was wearing a stunning midnight blue dress that looked to be silk, and it made her look like anything but a fairytale princess. A beautiful queen maybe. He looked down at her feet and noticed three-inch stilettos that looked impossible to stand in, but she was managing on them just fine. It seemed his beautiful wife had hidden depths.

He had known Aunt Mable had gotten to her the moment that Theodora had called him to tell him that Cora had stopped by the house. He had wanted to drop everything and race home, but with allegations against the company he couldn't, it would have been too risky. To walk into the hotel and see her waiting for him had made him able to breath again. Knowing she was there, that she had decided to trust him enough to talk to him, had made him feel as if he had finally won the girl.

He watched as Theodora entered the party and gauged the crowd. When she noted Cora she headed straight for her, and Garrett tensed at the possibly cold reception she would get from Cora, but he was relieved to see a genuine smile come to her face as they hugged.

He focused his attention back on the President's wife but his eyes never left Cora.

He had to be the luckiest man on the planet.

******

Cora walked into the party, trying her best to look self-assured. She scanned the room for Garrett and when she couldn't find him she made for the bar, trying to look as if she had a purpose. Having received her drink from the bartender with a friendly smile, she found a table and started to people watch.

Garrett had said that he would meet her, he would be cutting it close since his flight had been delayed, because of this Cora had decided to be fashionably late. It only took a moment before she was joined by Teddy, and she was relieved to see her as they hugged.

"How did it go with Andie?" Cora asked as she pulled away.

A waiter circled by with a drinks tray and Teddy grabbed one before turning to Cora with a brilliant smile.

"That well, huh?" Cora laughed and hugged her again, telling her how happy she was for her.

Jessica descended on them with an hors d'oeuvres tray. "Ladies, can I interest you in anything to eat?" She lowered the tray on the table while eyeing Cora with a smile. "You clean up well, how did you make it into this shindig?" she asked as Cora and Teddy each chose a morsel.

"Garrett's around here somewhere." Cora supplied.

"I thought this party was only for major donors to the university?" She wrinkled her brow in confusion.

"It is dear." Teddy grinned, "Not only is Cora's husband outrageously handsome but he is outrageously rich as well."

"Teddy!" Cora hissed.

Jessica sighed good naturedly. "Some girls catch all the breaks."

"Some guys too." Teddy said under her breath as she winked at Cora who only rolled her eyes.

"Oh, watch your back, Smith's here tonight. I still want you to fill me in on everything that happened." Jessica looked over her shoulder then grinned, "I gotta move, the boss is watching me."

"Whose Smith and why do you have to watch your back?"

Cora scanned the crowd and her eyes landed on Garrett who was listening carefully to something a short little woman was saying. He looked sexy as hell in his tux, but he always did. He looked up from talking woman and his eyes met hers. He continued to listen to what the woman was saying, even responding, but his eyes never left hers.