Chapter 13

The next morning I woke up to the house full of my family. Everyone was crowded downstairs in the living room including Carlisle and Esme. This could only mean one thing, something happened to set my family on edge.

Maybe the girls decided to tell on me about the assult on Lizzie. That means that the police could have paid a visit or were going to pay a visit. Maybe we were getting ready to flee the country and go into hiding for a century.

I walked past my mother and sat on my fathers lap to listen to their conversation. It seemed like the girls were in a car accident and died. On the table was a news paper with the headlines and on the tv was the news talking about the same exact thing, the car accident that took their lives.

It seemed like the driver had a high alcohol level at the time of the crash which happened at the highschool. They seemed to be trying to put together the puzzle. The driver wasn't legal enough to drive but was past the legal limit. They seemed to have made it out to the high school which was 5 miles from the closet store or bar. Plus the car driven into the building at what on site forensic analysists think was atleast 110 mph. None of it made sense. Why would they do that?

The only thing that seemed curious was that my parents said something about Rome talking to them before they left to keep them from telling on me to the police. Right after that Alice said she had the vision of the girls dying. This was all too curious and somehow it all pointed back to Rome, he started that fatal chain reaction that killed those four girls. I had to talk to him to find out why.

I stood up and told my parents I was going to go for a walk out by the lake and then headed off. I ran the length of the trail that connected my property to his and impatiently knocked on the door. When Rome answered he wasn't surprised to see me. He had smelled my approaching scent.

Almost immediately I was invited inside.

“You killed those girls?” I said to him. I had originally meant for that to come across as a question but instead I said it as if it was a proven fact. He looked at me and nodded slightly. I suddenly felt sick.  “Why did you do that?” I asked.

“They were going to tell on you and then you would go to jail. I couldn’t let that happen so they had to be removed from the equation.” He said in a casual manner as he just stared.

“How did you do it?”

Rome looked at me and chuckled a bit. “I bet you would like to know that wouldn’t you.” He rose to his feet swiftly and began a slow pace. “Just like you I have a gift.” He began as he folded his hands formally behind his back. “I have the gift of persuasion. I can make anyone do whatever I say.” He stopped and then turned to face me, staring emotionlessly. Suddenly he moved to kneel before me. “I told the girls they would not say a word about the attack to anyone, that they would call Lizzie’s parents and tell them they were coming home because she fell and got hurt. Then I gave Kelly liquor and she drank it before I sent her off to crash into the schools building. They had to die.”

I rose to my feet pushing him out of the way. What he did was horrible even if they were the only difference between me going to jail and being free. Why couldn’t he have just told them to not tell and then leave it at that?

“Why did you have to kill them?”

He moved forward and brushed his hand along my cheek and I quickly shrugged away from his touch.

“I haven’t had much practice with my gift you see do it isn’t as strong. My persuasion seems to wear off. I didn’t realize this until you came along.”

I was confused. “What do you mean?” I asked him.

“Ever since I saw you I’ve been mesmerized. Something about you draws me in. But you didn’t see me as I saw you so I have been trying to persuade you to love me. With difficulty as you very well see.” He turned away and began a small pace in front of me. “The affect I had on you wore off almost immediately so I decided to try in on a human. It wore off but not as fast so when I realized what I had to do I knew it wouldn’t be enough so I had to end them.” He moved forward to bring his arms around me. “I did this for us.”

I quickly pushed him away. “There is no us and there never will be.” I spat.

I saw him sniff the air and then growl. He quickly reached his hand up and touched my face as he closed his eyes. Now I wanted to sit down. I walked over to the couch five paces to my left and took a seat.

The door could be heard opening and then closing in the foyer and then I saw my family. Everyone was there. They had come to gather me. I turned my head to look at Rome and he had a devilish grin on his face as he stared down my family, something was about to happen.

“You will leave us and go home.” He said plainly as they advanced on him.

Suddenly they turned away and left the house.

Rome then joined me at my side. “That won’t last long but it will give us a head start. I can’t keep you here and under my spell when you are surrounded by your protective family.” He took my hand and pulled me to my feet. He grabbed a few things and then we headed out to his truck. Where were we going? As we turned onto the highway heading East he looked at me. “Looks like you will get to meet my father sooner then I thought.”

My eyes widened. He was taking me to the Volturi. For the first time when speaking about them I was frightened. The way my family feared them brought fear to me. Why would vampires as powerful as my family be terrified of a coven. I only hoped I wouldn’t face no harm. As long as I was safe and unharmed I would do anything I needed to in order to stay alive.