Falling Slowly

Chapter 5

Hunter

I don't know you, but I want you...

All the more for that.

Words fall through me and always fool me...

And I can't react.

-Glen Hansard

"You are so beautiful."

I hadn't meant to say it. It just slipped out. But, it was the truth and I would never take it back.

The girl I'd come to know as IQ stared back at me, her beautiful green eyes going wide as she processed what I had said. Her pink lips parted the smallest bit, and the shocked little breath that she let out broke me. Before I knew what I was doing, I was leaning closer to her, desperate for her to know that she was mine.

Not Lanien Reid's.

That thought made my blood boil. Another male wolf was interested in what was mine. Well, what male of any species in their right mind wouldn't be interested in her, my logical side questioned.

Good point.

But, the part of me that was already extremely protective and possessive of IQ didn't care how adorable she was. She was mine and mine only.

God, I sounded like a controlling jerk.

In the next second, the gorgeous girl that I was seconds from finally kissing was distracted by someone coming up behind us.

"Hey, IQ, you're needed over there," One of my only female friends, Karter, said, pointing behind her.

Nobody was in sight in the direction she suggested. I looked down at IQ to see that she was scared and nervous. God, I was so dumb. How did I not realize that she wasn't at all ready for that? I felt like a total idiot. I felt so bad that I didn't even question the fact that, obviously, nobody needed her.

She gave me a sad, sheepish smile and said, "Sorry, duty calls," before turning to Karter. Karter grabbed her arm, rather roughly, and my protective instincts came alive. If I wasn't best friends with Karter and if IQ wasn't already scared enough, I would have freaked out on Karter for grabbing her that way.

IQ suddenly recoiled like she had been burnt by Karter. With her eyes wide, she skittered back towards me, putting distance between herself and Karter. She was so close, I could feel the warmth of her skin and that she was shaking. I wanted so badly to reach out and bring her to me. To hold her and never let her go. But, I wasn't sure if it would help in this situation.

Anyone with eyes could easily tell that Karter was all out confused and irritated by IQ and her reaction. I, on the other hand was concerned and terrified. There was a reason she was scared of the rough way Karter grabbed her, and I had a feeling it was connected to why she was so nervous around closely packed people and most of all, skittish about any kind of affection or contact.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the reason at all.

Looking like she was going to cry, IQ took off, brushing past Karter and running to the hallway. I started to go after her, but Karter held me back. "Leave her alone, can't you tell that she isn't ready for you to be to close to her?"

"Oh," I scoffed incredulously, "This is coming from you? You practically clawed her arm off!"

"I did not! I don't know why she even reacted that way, I mean I didn't do anything to her."

I rolled my eyes and let out a humorless laugh, walking away from Karter before I shifted and attacked her. Then she would have gotten it...

Instead, I headed out, heading for the only person that could help me with my situation.