Hero...

Chapter 4

Aiydin

I need a hero to save my life

A hero will save me just in time...

-Skillet

By the end of first period I'd been hit on by about fifteen boys. The pick-up lines ranged from, "Are you from Tennessee? 'Cause your the only ten I see!" to "Nice ass.". Both failed to accomplish their task. The first comment received a roll of the eyes and scoff from me, while the second earned them the middle finger and a knee to their family jewels. Ugh, Sophomore boys.

You could say that most of the males in the school were steering clear of me. Well, except for Hunter, of course. Let's hear it for persistence, people!

"Hey IQ," he smirked, throwing an arm around my shoulder. Every boy around us cringed, waiting for me to retaliate with violence.

Strangely enough, I just smirked back and said, "Hey FK."

"That didn't come out right..."

"Yeah. Let's stick with the non-abbreviated versions," I nodded with a laugh.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a group of guys staring at me- well, more like gawking- probably wondering why I wasn't flipping out on Hunter. I was asking myself the same thing.

"Agreed," He said, beginning to walk. "So, how was English?"

"Well, because of some nasty comments the boys made about me, several of the males in my class most likely cannot reproduce. Oh, and Mrs.Dawyer officially despises me!" I added a little skip to my step.

His eyes went wide. "And this is a good thing how?"

"I dunno. I just like ticking people off. It's a quirk," I smiled, facing him and shrugging.

"You are adorable, you know that?" My knees almost buckled and my head spun. What had he just said? "So, what do you have next?" Hunter asked, already walking again, heading towards the locker.

Still dazed, I followed behind him, managing to choke out, "Algebra II." I was impressed with how calm I sounded compared to my reeling mind.

"Hey, me too. You can sit by me, so I can get you caught up," He cracked a heartbreaking smile and winked, heading off in the opposite direction.

I turned to find myself at my locker, number 278, right on the end of the row. Thank god, I wasn't smooshed between a bunch of people. Wait, how had Hunter known which one was my locker? It must have been a coincidence, my logical side reasoned. I shook my head and began working the combination I'd already memorized, 0-4-22. I popped it open and set my new English 10 materials inside, taking notice of how much room I had.

"Looks like you could use some decor," A happy voice chirped beside me.

I wheeled to find a girl, about my height, smiling at me like we'd been friends since, like, kindergarten. She had shoulder length, wavy, bleach-blond hair. The under-side of her hair was a bit darker, and had a bright blue streak in it. Her blue eyes sparkled, rimmed with a thin layer of mascara and eyeliner.

"Oh, I'm Karter," She held her hand out to me.  I could faintly smell the scent distinguishing her as a fellow shifter- a wolf at that.  Jeez, was everyone in this school a wolf?

I took it cautiously, wondering why she was being so nice. "Aiydin."

"Oooh, that's a cool name." I nodded, wanting to escape this awkward moment. What did she want? "So..." She looked down, fiddling with her silver painted nails. "Are you, like, with Hunter?"