The Kill

Okay so this short story is for the Joecool123 contest :) Took me FOREVER to write this. More than 5 hours. At least it's done now. :D Warning: if you have a weak stomach, watch out for the gory parts. They're not too bad, but it's always good to leave a notice just in case :)  

If you like short stories, read Kate Chopin'. There's so much depth to them it's amazing, she's truly inspirational. No she's not a writer on Wattpad. She passed away many years ago and her literary works are quite famous.

I drew this story from personal experience nothing as extreme as what happens in here thankfully. If something doesn't make sense to you, feel free to ask. I wrote this with minimal time all in once day. I just currently finished it at 4:56 AM so yeah, it might be weird.

*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'

             It was a night utterly void of light; black clouds shrouded the sky in an ominous cloak, masking even the slightest twinkles from distant stars, and the streetlamps were extinguished hours ago from the terrorizing storm. My house was barely remaining illuminated by the small generator in our garage. The screeching winds threatened to uproot the house as the house creaked with every gust.   My parents had been gone for several days now, unable to return from their trip tonight due to the severe weather.  It didn’t bother me though; I wasn’t one to be easily spooked by trivial things like bad weather.

                Shifting my position on the couch, I continued to read my novel until I heard a strange noise from outside. It sounded almost like a car, but no one in the right mind would be driving in this weather. It was suicidal. When I didn’t hear anything afterwards, I went back to my book…  Eliza smiled and her legs crashed into mine as we moved in a perfect rhythm. She was gripping my t-shirt tightly, and it seemed like she was having almost as much trouble controlling herself as I was, or maybe it was just my imagination. It the moment our eyes locked together, my desire to know what she was thinking burned through me like fire running on a stick of dynamite.  I touched my hand to her cheek and smoothed my fingers along her jaw line. The temptation was killing me…

                From the corner of my eye I could see my brother’s room light flickering some, and then a few moments later, mine. How mature. “Cut it out you idiot, that’s not funny. If my bulb blows out, I’m taking yours,” I hollered to my brother. No one answered. He probably had his i-Pod drilled into his ears like always.  I shrugged it off, promising to myself I wouldn’t let it go if he did it again.

                The night grew colder and the rain beat harder, playing its menacing melody on my house like a drum.  Lightning blew up the skies with light like fireworks, and thunder, adding to the song of the storm, rumbled across the earth in vengeance, ending with a clash causing the house to tremble in fear and the lights to flicker once more. Through the reflection of the T.V., I saw a figure behind me. I whipped my head around only to find no one there.

I sighed in frustration, “Jay, quit trying to scare me because it’s not working!” I bellowed. There was still no answer.

                I grabbed from candles and matches, and placed them around the house just in case the lights went out. The last room was Jay’s. “Alright, where are you punk? You think that just because you’re older than me that you can do whatever you want, huh?”  I stormed through the narrow hallway to my brother’s room at the very end. Lightning mercilessly crashed again, hitting a telephone pole outside, it brought it down and with it, all sources of electricity.

                I groaned, “Just my luck.” Twisting the brass knob to his room, I flung the door open. “You know, just because I’m younger than you, doesn’t mean you can scare me.  And you know what else,” I said saucily, feeling around for his dresser. His dead silence made me wonder if he was even in the room.  He was being unusually quiet for a blackout. “Just because I’m your little sister,” I started again, fumbling with the matches until the candle illuminated the whole room with its light, “doesn’t mean you can just…”  My words drifted away, my jaw dropped; my knees felt weak as I nearly fell to the ground, “…ignore me.” I managed to whisper out.  A horrible sense of blackness and treachery of fate seized hold upon my soul. Guilt began to overpower me as everything that ever happened in my life with my brother flashed through my eyes.  Tears welled up in my eyes as my heart clenched. There he lay in the darkness of the room, his swollen lids dropped across the little watery bulbs rolling loose in their orbits and the rush of blood creating a muddy blood puddle for his body to sink into.