Broken Hearts and Unfaithful Friends

It was only an hour later Knuckles found himself crying into Amy's couch, the hedgehog looking as if she was gonna break a certain ultimate lifeform in half.

"How dare he break up with you in such a rude and unjustified manner!?" All lady like manners went out the window as Amy paced around her living room. "I say we find him and get revenge."

"I-I don't want to h-hurt him...." Knuckles sniffled, having trouble with even talking by how much he'd been crying.

"But he hurt you, Knuckles! You can't just let him go for that!"

"I still don't think Shadow wanted that." Sonic said, but was ignored, yet he still tried. "If he was actually gonna break up with you, he'd do it himself. It doesn't make sense."

"That's it! I'm sacrificing him to the aliens!" Sticks said angrily.

Knuckles just sobbed more into one of Amy's throw pillows. Sonic looked at the chaos surrounding him before simply standing up and walking to the door. Amy stopped him.

"You should console your best friend, Sonic! He needs you."

Sonic sighed, knowing he probably wasn't gonna get out of it. He sat down beside Knuckles, extremely uncomfortable. Knuckles hugged him tightly, still sobbing. The poor hedgehog stiffened, not knowing how to comfort others; it was one of the many curses of being him. Knuckles didn't seem to notice the other's discomfort, still sobbing into the soft blue fur.

"Uh, hey, Knux. It'll be alright." Sonic said, wincing at how bad he knew he was at this.

Still, the poor echidna didn't care, just needing someone to hug.

_______________________________

The only word that could describe how Shadow felt was bored.

His room was bare, except for a few things: a bed, a dresser, and a nightstand. So, there was basically nothing to do, and Shadow definitely wasn't sleeping for an entire day.

He groaned into his pillow, trying to think of nothing and only nothing. It wasn't working. Knuckles always came back to haunt him.

'I wonder what he's doing right now?'

'Is he worrying about me?'

'I wonder if he wants me around....'

He needed to stop thinking about him! It wasn't any good to think about the enemy!

A knock at the door thankfully interrupted his thoughts. "Yeah?"

"Shadow, I brought food." Mephiles opened the door an walked in, closing the door behind him.

"Why are you doing this...?" Shadow frowned as the plate was sat on his bed in front of him.

"You know that this can't happen." Mephiles crossed his arms. "That echidna is not someone you should be around."

"I know...." Shadow looked down. "But is keeping me locked up really the best way to do this?"

"No, the best way to do this is to send you to G.U.N." Mephiles spat (even though he does not have a mouth).

Shadow felt his ears instinctively flatten against his skull as he stared at Mephiles, eyes wide. "Y-You aren't going to though... right?"

"That only depends on if you can play your part." Mephiles said. "You are a weapon, and weapons don't have feelings."

"But Maria said-"

"I don't care what Maria said. You were created to be an emotionless weapon for the government's use. Obviously, Gerald had failed when he created you."

With that, Mephiles slammed the door shut, locking it. Shadow just stared, wide eyed, at the door, Mephiles's words echoing through his head.

_______________________

"Alright, there's gotta be a reason for this...." Sonic said to himself as he quietly stared at Shadow's house. He just didn't believe that Shadow would have broken up with Knuckles, especially after he had started to warm up to Knuckles.

As he watched Mephiles walk out of the house, his eyes narrowed. Mephiles just looked like the type of guy to murder an entire race. Sonic watched as the mouthless hedgehog glanced around with his reptilian eyes and faded into the darkness somehow. Sonic's eyes widened and he glanced around.

'How did he...?' He shook his head and ran towards the house, stealthily jumping through an open window.

The living room was nothing to gasp about: there were a few lamps, a couch, and a small table, though Sonic noted that there was no TV.

'That must be why he's never heard of comedy chimp before their first date....'

He continued forward, sneaking through the small shack. A thump and a groan caused the hedgehog to look towards a door, it being the only room that was lit. He tiptoed towards it and put his ear to the wood.

"Stupid Mephiles, locking me in here...." a deep voice mumbled, but Sonic recognized it as Shadow's.

"Shadow?"

"Sonic!?" Another thump and a curse was heard before the other spoke up. "What are you doing here?"

Sonic tried to open the door, but he discovered that it was locked. "I sneaked in here to confront you about how you broke up with Knuckles."

"What do you mean? I never broke up with Knuckles. Why would I ever break up with him?"

"I knew it!" Sonic whisper shouted. "Mephiles told us that you did, but I didn't believe him!"

"Mephiles...." Sonic noted slight fear in the other's voice, but he shrugged it off.

"Shadow, come on out so we can go to Knuckles. He's been crying all day!"

"I can't. Mephiles locked me in here." Shadow said. "He's been crying all day? He's okay though, right? D-Did Mephiles hurt him?"

"No, he's fine." Sonic said, actually glad to hear concern in the other's voice.

"Maybe for now." Sonic's eyes widened as he looked behind him to find reptilian eyes glaring into his own emerald green.

"Mephiles...." the hedgehog behind the door banged against it. "Wh-What are you doing!?"

"Calling the government after I rid of this fool." Mephiles hissed, glaring at the blue intruder.

Sonic could've sworn he heard a whimper from the other side of the door, but didn't believe his ears. His ears went back with a small growl. "You locked him in here and told Knuckles that he broke up with him! What kind of friend are you!?"

Mephiles's eyes narrowed. "Just because I was created to be his friend doesn't mean I will."

"Mephiles...." Shadow banged against the door lightly. "You lied to me!"

"Lied to you? Hah! I was the only one who stayed by you. You are the one who betrayed me when you started to actually develop feelings for the idiotic echidna!" Mephiles quickly grabbed Sonic, dragging him away from the door.

"Hey! Let go of me!" Sonic yelled as he was dragged.

"Mephiles!" Shadow shouted, banging on the door as Sonic was dragged away into the darkness.