Something More Dangerous than a Hurricane

I nearly cursed my idiocy out loud.

What was I thinking? I could have been caught by Orfeo! No doubt he would have heard about something as interesting as this. Not even the Iele learned of his identity until it was far too late.

No one could save me from him. And getting up close and personal to the heir to the British throne would undoubtedly attract people's attention if they ever found out. And Orfeo having power and influence in the human world would undoubtedly hear about it.

At the same time, I was as the goggs say, 'Jumping the gun'. I had no idea if Prince Robert recognised or even remembered me from the encounter we had beforehand. So of course, I felt stupid.

I was even more stupid for developing feelings for a guy I had barely met, a terragogg- a human- and a prince among them who was going to be king someday. But I was even stupider for acting like there was something between us.

I was acting like a moonstruck merl. And I hated myself for it.

It would have been far more practical, far more clever and by far easier to think about marrying Ragnar Kolfinsson. But nooo, I just had to be attracted with guys with legs, don't I? And I don't mean lobster, crayfish or crab legs, unfortunately, I mean human legs.

Well done, Serena. You just won best prize for Stupid Mermaid of the Year. As a matter of fact, if this ever goes public, you would push Ariel from A Little Mermaid off her pedestal and take her crown.

I was an idiot, wasn't I?

And anyway, Robert wasn't the problem here. Orfeo was.  Orfeo had created a monster from the souls of sacrificed innocents and used it to destroy an island civilisation, all the while, planning to use said monster to destroy the Underworld and retrieve the souls of the dead, especially his beloved wife Alma. Orfeo was the one who cheated death when Merrow killed him, possessing several bodies, terrorising innocents above and below during certain periods in time. Orfeo was the guy who got Vallerio, Portia, Traho and all the Death Riders and Lucia to do his dirty work and subdue the underwater realms, creating not just a reign of terror, but a genocide in which people were sent to death camps, tortured and died slowly from starvation, warmth, Depth Sickness and long-term exposure. Even little children had been tortured by that monster Marcus Traho and allowed by Orfeo- though he also did those himself.

Orfeo was the greatest danger of all.

And here I was, prancing and spinning about carelessly on land and underwater. Barely- or not- acting covert at all.

Orfeo was sure to hear about this. I wasn't sure if he could see us from where we were, and I prayed that there weren't any cameras or recording shells and songspells that captured my image or voice. But the crew heard. They would be incarcerated, but if Orfeo ever saw them...

I was screwed. I needed to cast a  Confuto on them but I wasn't sure if Orfeo had invented a spell that could cure goggs from that.

Plus, it would be great if I got Orfeo- or rather Rafe Mfeme into legal trouble, but I knew that would never stop him. His soul could easily choose another host. All he had to do was kill himself, let his soul flow into the black pearl and make sure the pearl ends up in someone's hands.

I couldn't do this. I was endangering myself as well as my own plans to save everyone. But something interrupted my terrified thoughts.

The door opened. In came the Prince of Wales.

Robert stared at the girl. He couldn't help himself. His heart skipped a beat and jolted before pounding madly again.