Biter

The group decided to back track and take another route, unfortunately that means another week stuck in this metal tin. Your four days into that week, food running low and one bottle of water left. The worst was your period was due within the next couple of days and without any sanitary products that could be a whole other issue with a very embarrassing result.

Oh the sunny side though, your swollen eye was calming down, you could kind of see out of it now. Enough to fire an arrow at close range, the bruise had gone from a dark ocean blue and black to now a palm tree green with yellow patches.

You rest your head on Newt's shoulder (Troy was driving, you always allowed you and Newt to get close when he was), he wraps one arm round your waist, he holds your hand with the other and squeezes, he knows you hadn't eaten breakfast in order for the kids to not get hungry. The hunger was bad but the chapped lips and dry tongue was making you want to puke up all your stomach acids and bile.
"I want a big 12oz beef burger with melted cheese, homemade ketchup in a lovely toasted bun, on the side will be rustic chips fresh from the oven." You close your eyes imagining the filling taste of it, you unconsciously lick your lips making Newt chuckle.
"One day, love, one day."

The bus pulls in to a parking lot and parks over four spots. You and Newt uncoil yourselves from each other and both move to the opposite sides of the bus so it would look impossible for you to ever have been sitting together. When Troy whistles you move to the front behind the drivers seat, rubbing Newt's hair on the way. "Hey." You kiss his cheek, something he recently demand of you.
"It's a supermarket." He says tapping his lips, so you abide, rolling your eyes, by kissing his lips, he grabs your hair pulling you in longer. Your eyes fly open wide, you tap his shoulder, desperately running out of air. You look to Newt for help so he walks up coughing. "Excuse me." He coughs.
Troy releases you and gives Newt a smug look. You take a step back fixing your hair, Troy was beginning to feel threatened, his girlfriend sleeping in a bus with four other guys, the competition was up. You loved seeing him get worked up about it but it also meant having to go near his stinky breath ore than usual.
"So what we stopped for?" Newt asks leaning forward so his body blocked you from Troy, he looked out the front window. "Ah Tesco, looks like bloody klunk doesn't it?" He chuckles to himself, you smile and play with the button on his rolled up checked shirt's sleeve, it was about level with his elbow. He turns to face you, his eyes lit with happiness at what you guess is the thought of a decent meal.
"Quit pissing about Newt." Troy growls. "And start getting the weapons." He hops out the driver's door and basks in the sunlight.
Newt stands literally on your toes gazing down at you, you blush and push his nose. "Honk." He does in time.
You giggle and leave, feeling your cheeks burning. Whenever Newt did something like that you felt a twisting sensation inside of you, your head was as light as a cloud.
You grab your bow and quiver, and a small knife. "Come on kids, get your buddy and line up behind us." You count them off the bus, smiling as Emilie passes holding one of the boys hands, she was so caring it made you proud, you had practically raised her.

You all stop before the entrance, the door have been torn off their hinges and lie on the floor, the glass shattered and the metal trampled on. Thomas nods at you and starts clapping two large sheets of metal together, no noise stirs from inside the building.
"Sounds safe." He says.
"Looks safe." Minho sticks his head in. "The windows nicely light it."
"Ok greenies be careful and follow Troy." Thomas tells the kids.
You head in going to grab some stuff. You grab a mars bar and rip the wrapper off devouring it. It's SO good, you moan as the food fills the hungry beast in your belly.
"Good?" Newt asks taking his own.
"The best." You answer.
You pick up some scissors, a hair brush and some dry shampoo, you would probably need a whole bottle. You head to the toilets. The hallway to the toilets was an insane mess, rumble littered it, metal framing scattered everywhere. At the end was a large jagged hole, it looked like the sum of a bomb. The world had completely fallen to waste. You shuffle forwards avoiding the large bricks and head for the ladies. The door hung loosely on its hinge, you push it open. The bathroom was intact, only a mirror had a large crack down the side. This was the first time you were properly seeing yourself in almost three weeks. You were surprised your skin was in an alright condition, your hair on the other hand, had  almost doubled in length and was now by your belly button. The ends were knotted and tangled like a fishing net, you could hardly get your fingers in there.
The door opens and Newt walks in holding his own stuff.
"Newt! This is the ladies." You giggle.
"The mens was blocked by that mess, so... Anyway it's only you." He smiles cheekily. Then admires himself in the mirror. "Bloody hell." He curses stroking his chin. "I'm growing some beard."
You laugh, you had hardly noticed the stubble he was growing, it had just merged in with everyone looking their worst 24/7. He sets down some shaving cream and a razor, then gives you a cheek grin and starts apply the cream. You set about cutting your hair, trimming off the unfixable knots and tangles, you keep cutting making your hair shorter and shorter.
"Hey, not too short." Newt says shaving. "I like to play with your hair."
You laugh and stop cutting at shoulder height. "Newt your as bad as the kids." You pull at your hair checking the lengths, it was a bit wonky but then,who was there to judge.
He finishes, wiping off the last of the shaving cream. "Here, let me get the back." He pries the scissors out of your hand and starts trimming the last part of your hair.  You smile at him through the mirror, it felt nice to have someone, someone you cared about more than anything else, fiddling with your hair and even just paying you some normal attention. Instead of the whole, save us y/n, or we're starving y/n.
"Whoa, did we not get invited to the party?" Minho says entering, Thomas behind him. They both like Newt are carrying shaving equipment also with deodorants. They put it down at the sink and get started.
"Thomas." You laugh." You know that's a woman's deodorant, right?"
He turns bright red and checks the can. "Ah shuck it."
"Give it here." You laugh, he throws it over and you spray yourself head to toe with it.
Newt finishes your hair and rests his chin on your head, you have an idea that already makes you laugh. You get his shaving cream and squirt a handful onto your hand, you struggle to hide a giggle. You throw it into his face.
He stumbles back from the surprise, spluttering and wiping the cream off. "Oh I'm gonna get ya." He laughs grabbing Minho's cream and spraying it at you. You duck and he hits Thomas. That was all it took to start a massive shaving cream frenzy. The cream was everywhere, all over the walls, in your hair, on the guys' faces, it was the most fun you had since... Well, since you can remember.